My photos taken during kayaking trip

Discuss cameras, techniques, tips and tricks, and post your favorite photos and videos.
Forum rules
NO commercial posts please
henrylw
KAYAK: Delta 17

My photos taken during kayaking trip

Postby henrylw » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:15 am

Bought my first sea kayak (Delta 17) in August of 2014. Basically everything is self taught -- including rolls. I carved my own greenland paddle and even a custom yoke for kayak portage between lakes. Here are some photos I took during my kayaking trips in Ontario. Hope you will enjoy them. (Flickr is oversharpening all the pictures here, sorry if they look too sharp for you)

More can be seen at my Flickr page:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/henrylw/

jonathan
KAYAK: valley nordkapp rm, mirage 530

Re: My photos taken during kayaking trip

Postby jonathan » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:55 pm

Hey Henry,
if you kayak like you take photo's - your doing just fine…
beautiful work
thanks for sharing them

gsimson
KAYAK: Cetus,Taran, Delphin, Firestar, SOF Disko Bay, Shearwater 16, Fenn ski

Postby gsimson » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:14 am

very nice!

Simonl
KAYAK: Prijon Kodiak (Mango)

Postby Simonl » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:20 pm

Hi Henry,

Nice pics. I'm interested in the technical side of some of these pics. The nightime sky pics show little if any star trails or movement from a long exposure time indicating that maybe you used a motor drive to track the earths movement. However, if you did that it would have shown movement of the ground and other features. Did you have to make multiple exposures, during the day and then leave the camera in situ for a second exposure at night?

I assume for the closer pics you may have used fill in flash for the background but some of the other pics where the subjects are further away I wouldn't imagine that would work?

I also notice that on one pic, there are small star trials in the reflection of the water but the stars in the sky are nice and crisp. Is this due to the small wave or water motion during the exposure?

Thanks for posting!

Simon

Geoff
KAYAK: Rockpool Taran 18,Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

Postby Geoff » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:39 am

I think you are on the right track Simon. First impression of these images is impressive, but closer inspection indicates an awful lot of work in an image editor.....

Simonl

Postby Simonl » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:37 pm

Hi Geoff,

I'm not accusing anyone of anything. Used to do a bit of photography including time lapse and nightime stuff, I don't claim to have been brilliant at it but I did enjoy the technical side of things including exploiting reciprocity failure with long exposures etc. That was before photography was digital and so I have little to no experience with photography in the digital age apart from selfies with a smart phone and compact cameras! For example, I have no idea how sensitive CCD or CMOS cameras are now, their light amplification abilities and their ability to capture a night sky with faster shutter times leaving non existent star trails…..

Suffice to say, if these "photos" are in fact a product of several images that have undergone major enhancement and editing with editing software then they are just an image. Sure, they look good but it's not really photography. No real skill in that, even I can do that……

But, like I said I assume they are actual photos like the OP said in his opening paragraph….

Simon

Geoff
KAYAK: Rockpool Taran 18,Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

Postby Geoff » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:52 am

Fair enough Simon. I too have spent a long time dealing with reciprocity failure and the joys and foibles of medium format film (professionally) and I now enjoy the adaptability and accuracy of digital but it doesn't take a very close inspection to see that these images are products of a computer, not a camera.
Geoff
http://www.geoffmurray.com

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:07 pm

There is no doubt that Henry has some really nice images on his website www.scenicfoto.com and is an accomplished photographer but unfortunately some of the examples he provided here don't ring true. Not to me,at least.
Geoff

Alpha Tango
KAYAK: Challenge sequel, Wilderness Systems Tsunami 165, Kaskazi Skua (Now n then)

Postby Alpha Tango » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:57 am

For all the naysayers, there is an aspect that you all seem to overlook with this, putting aside the professional issues that some have expressed here, his work is outstanding whether it be original photographic work or images that have been created from multiple photographic shoots and then engineered through the use of of computer technology and editing software. There are few photographers professional or amateur in this day and age who don't edit or put simplistically "photo-shop". Beauty and the work for that matter is in the eye of the beholder.

Simonl

Postby Simonl » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:09 am

That is a fair point Alpha. I must agree that they are outstanding IMAGES, but from my point of view, I prefer to look at photos. I guess in this day and age of digital photography, all photos are indeed images and even the camera manipulates these at the point the picture is taken so photoshoping a little afterwards is no biggie. But at what point are you just a photoshoper rather than a real photographer?

Yes they are very impressive. They blew my socks off when I first looked at the pics but after I looked at the more technical aspect of the photos I was a little disappointed. Perhaps I shouldn't be as it appears that it's just my perception of how photography should be which seems to be outdated and not moved on to embrace the amazing power that is now available to allow such image manipulation……..

Simon

feraltek
KAYAK: Dagger Alchemy

Postby feraltek » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:10 am

They're a form of photomontage.

JDJTas
KAYAK: GreenlanderPro, Seaward Chinook, thermoplastic.

Postby JDJTas » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:21 pm

Very impressive skills. I suppose we are all "guilty" of trying to take "spectacular" images. At what stage do we stop exaggerating nature and if we do, will we eventually become bored with reality?

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:37 am

Spot on Jeff. I see a growing community of very (software) skilled photographers in Tasmania that produce impressive images in nature. It would be an interesting exercise to take these people out for a day of black and white photography......

Benlore
KAYAK: Mirage 530

Postby Benlore » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:30 pm

Nice photos Henry. Not many people have the eye to compose such shots nor the computer skills post capture to produce such images. You have used the digital medium of photography to produce true works of art!

gnarlydog
KAYAK: skegged kayaks (6) with traditional paddles

Postby gnarlydog » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:30 pm

Seeing your photos Henry made me realize how lousy I am with my efforts :oops:
Why just click and then post as it came out of the camera when one can do so much with digital.
For years I struggled trying to capture on film what I saw; it was a very limiting medium for me.
These days I am really embracing digital for what it is: an endless tool that allows me to create images that my eyes often don't see. I like to call it art more then mere recording of places or events.
After all I am not a photo-reporter nor a journalist where social convention would limit me to persuade the public that what I captured was true (even if with clever cropping and camera angles).
I envy you (in a good way) for the work you have created that no doubt has taken a lot of time and great skills.
Let me not chastise you for the skills I don't possess and judge you by my own limitations. :evil:

Congratulations on your very inspirational photography.

Benlore

Postby Benlore » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:09 pm

I want to know how he created those images... Like how many layers and what is overlaying what. They are probably HDR long exposures. ??

gnarlydog

Postby gnarlydog » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:18 am

I read this today:
"....It's no longer enough to get something in focus, well exposed and color correct. It's no longer good enough to fix all the "flaws" in Photoshop. What the important audience wants now is the narrative, the story, the "why" and not the "how." The love, not the schematic. "

source: http://tinyurl.com/zz3o3ha

Benlore

Postby Benlore » Mon May 02, 2016 8:00 pm

Hi Gnarly, iMO beauty and meaning are in the eyes of the beholder. As to how accurately photography captures reality it's worth the considering this. I have heard that our eye is the equivalent of a 50mm lens for the full frame digital or 35mm film camera. If this is so then one could deduce that the vast majority of images we see from cameras are already a distorted view of the world. Some are beautiful, some are ugly, some are perfect exposures and some are not. Even before the digital revolution photos were manipulated to enhance the already distorted image. But now with the digital darkroom we have so much more choice in the way we can manipulate the image. Not only can we replicate the way images were manipulated in the past but we can also create new ways of manipulation. To me the above images are an example of this new frontier.

gnarlydog

Postby gnarlydog » Mon May 02, 2016 8:17 pm

Benlore wrote:Hi Gnarly, iMO beauty and meaning are in the eyes of the beholder. As to how accurately photography captures reality it's worth the considering this. I have heard that our eye is the equivalent of a 50mm lens for the full frame digital or 35mm film camera. If this is so then one could deduce that the vast majority of images we see from cameras are already a distorted view of the world.

Endless essays have been written and more will be about the subject of photography, what it is and what it shouldn't be.
I am so glad that I have expanded and for lack of better words "matured" my view on photography.
Reproducing "faithfully" true events and places are the least of my goals these days.
I could be still stuck in thinking what is real and what is not, as nothing is, presented in a 2 dimensional form.
I now rather embrace a much wider form of what to me is art, rather than documentation. To some however photography has very strict rules of what can be and can't be done; as if those rules were imposed by some higher being and must be followed.
So, who set those rules? and what are they? ... I asked myself one day. And then I saw the dogma that I was restricting myself with.
:o

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:06 am

Lots of interesting viewpoints here and all are valid. For myself, I prefer to see an image that while being impressive is still believable. It's nice to know that you could have been there witnessing that spectacle, rather than looking at it and thinking "impressive but impossible in real life".

Gnarky quotes "What the important audience wants now is the narrative, the story,"
The story doesn't come from a bunch of layers in Photoshop, it comes from the skill of the photographer in first seeing the image, capturing it effectively, then processing it to produce a striking, but believable image. Maybe I am just a boring photographer :)

The other side of the story is if you do choose to produce an art image, do it well. I personally know photographers that are absolute top of the tree in producing art images. Their work is outstanding and flawless, unlike the images originally presented here. As I said at the beginning, first impressions are good but that is quickly followed by disappointment.

Geoff

Return to “PHOTOGRAPHY”