For the paddler that has everything.....

Discuss cameras, techniques, tips and tricks, and post your favorite photos and videos.
Forum rules
NO commercial posts please
Geoff
KAYAK: Rockpool Taran 18,Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

For the paddler that has everything.....

Postby Geoff » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:30 am

Leica has recently released their first fully submersible camera, the XU. There is only one slight hitch. It's a 35mm equivalent fixed focal length camera that costs.....$4,500!
https://en.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-X/Leica-X-U

ConYak
KAYAK: Impex Force 5, Q Kayaks Penguin, Hobie Revolution 13

Re: For the paddler that has everything.....

Postby ConYak » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:26 am

Having studied photography many years ago, thoughts of being inspired by Cartier-Bresson images instantly came to mind, although I was more inclined to follow Ansell Adams. Spent many an hour under the red light in a small room trying to print that perfect image, so the thought of $4,500 for a camera for someone with a passion doesn’t cause me any alarm.
Gee, I’ve heard people can even pay that much for a kayak!
Good judgement comes from experience~and experience well that comes from poor judgement

Geoff
KAYAK: Rockpool Taran 18,Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

Postby Geoff » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:29 am

Yes ConYak, it's not hard to spend a lot of money on photographic gear. A friend of mine has a Phase One medium format camera, well over $40,000 worth. My own camera bag is worth more than $10,000, containing a Nikon D810 complimented by Zeiss and Sigma ART lenses. But I still feel that $4,500 for a single focal length APS-C size sensor camera without a viewfinder is a lot of money.
Geoff

Benlore
KAYAK: Mirage 530

Postby Benlore » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:24 pm

I'm still trying to work out what camera to get that will take good photos hand held from a kayak in low light after the sun has gone down..... Budget is definitely 1/4 of the Leica you mention above.....

Return to “PHOTOGRAPHY”