Greenland expedition

Discuss cameras, techniques, tips and tricks, and post your favorite photos and videos.
Forum rules
NO commercial posts please
Geoff
KAYAK: Rockpool Taran 18,Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

Greenland expedition

Postby Geoff » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:47 pm

I returned from Greenland a couple of months ago after a superb expedition which aimed to reach the very remote Lake Fjord in East Greenland. We achieved our objective and had a superb trip. The scenery and atmosphere in this part of the world is simply staggering, even more so than the more frequently travelled areas further south. Images from the trip can be seen here http://www.geoffmurray.com/lake-fjord-e ... index.html

Just to continue the theme of visiting John Rymill's 1930's expedition bases, in Feb 2017 Paul Caffyn, myself and 5 other paddlers will journey to South America to board the yacht Icebird, sail 1200kms across Drake Passage to the Antarctic Peninsula then spend 3 weeks visiting historic sites related to the 1934-37 British Graham Land Expedition by sea kayak. This promises to be a very special trip :) The odd photo to follow.....
Geoff

Geoff
KAYAK: Rockpool Taran 18,Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

Re: Greenland expedition

Postby Geoff » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:21 am

As promised, some pics from the trip south here http://www.geoffmurray.com/photo-album/index.html
An incredible place with mindblowing scenery but, also very challenging with very few landing places and occasionally "interesting" weather.

NorthSIKer
KAYAK: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby NorthSIKer » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:11 pm

Amazing stuff. I can only assume you were packing something a bit more featured than an action cam for those shots. Crazy how clear the water is with that shot of the iceberg showing the ice down into the depths.

Out of interest what is the yellow and black tent? It looks like some sort of clone of the North Face Mountain 25?

andrewa
KAYAK: Um. I have 2 unknown brands..

Re: Greenland expedition - wow

Postby andrewa » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:37 pm

Wow. Some beautiful images there.

If I could only give up being a father of 4, a husband, and a doctor, I'd piss off to do something like that pretty quickly.

At 54, I'm eventually realising that to get the most out of life in the outdoors, you need to be pretty selfish. Otherwise you just get sucked in to "providing mode", which is where I sit ATM - hoping that I can get a NZ Fiordland 10 day kayaking/fly fishing trip happening for next January. Blah.

Terryb
KAYAK: Malestrom

Postby Terryb » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:34 am

Simply stunning Geoff, The reflections are amazing.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:54 pm

Camera used for the iceberg was a Nikon D810 with a Zeiss Milvus 21mm lens. The on-water shots were taken with a Nikon AW1. I took two of the AW1's with me as I haven't found them entirely reliable. Lenses for the D810 were 21mm Zeiss Milvus, 35mm ART Sigma, 50mm ART Sigma, 100mm Zeiss Makro Planar, 14mm Samyang and a borrowed 150-600mm Sigma zoom.
The tent is the lastest Mont Epoch. A superb 4 season tent that I took to Antarctica to test. I have the earlier version Epoch which has served me extremely well (I am a Mont Ambassador). The new version has a few refinements plus a simpler pole system.
Yes, to go satisfying places you do need to push a little. I am fortunate in having a supportive wife that encourages my adventures :)

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:01 pm

I forgot to mention that there are some more pics from the trip here http://www.geoffmurray.com/tierra-del-fuego/index.html. Patagonia is a place to return to.

Return to “PHOTOGRAPHY”