SOF Wood Selection?

Skin on frame , Strip built , Stitch & glue , Lets see whats happening in the boat shed.
Slugga
KAYAK: One Ocean Kayaks "Cirrus"

SOF Wood Selection?

Postby Slugga » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:35 pm

Hi All,

Building my first SOF Disko Bay http://www.gentrycustomboats.com/Disko% ... 0page.html

What wood would be the best choice that is easily available in Australia to keep costs down?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

TomN
KAYAK: 1931 Disco Bay SOF, F1 SOF, Impex Assateague, Anago SOF, Ocean Raider (somewhere out the back)

Re: SOF Wood Selection?

Postby TomN » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:02 am

Western Red cedar is pretty good for stingers.

You could also use hoop pine - there's plenty about in Queensland - you have plantation stuff up that way. Higher density and weight than cedar but stiffer to make those unsupported spans in the fuselage work well. Both will cost a bit, but you don't need much. Reckon you'll get it all our of two 2 x 4's 5.5 m long.

You'll need good dense marine ply for the frames on that boat. Don't skimp there - get good stuff. Not the 'marine pliy' from a the big hardware store.. their stuff is more like cardboard. Find a good supplier of ply and buy some of theirs.

Regards,

Tom

Martin B
KAYAK: Prijon Touryak 470 ; Yost Sea Cruiser SoF with GP

Postby Martin B » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:05 pm

Hi Slugga,
Have just been reading a very informative blog on building a Dave Gentry Disko - see Sean Dawe's http://justyakkin2.blogspot.ca/2011/06/ ... ility.html

Check out for the "fit" problem if you are of generous proportions ;) .

One construction point I notice in this design is that stopping the deck beams at the Frames either end of the cockpit can result in an ugly, unsightly lump in the skin just foward of the cockpit. I am heading in the same direction unfortunately and may have to cut out the deck beams on my Yost Sea Cruiser and replace with longer ones carrying on to, and faired in with, the cockpit coaming to avoid this bulge.

I second Tom's coments re the quality ply; the six British Standard Marine Ply frames for my craft weigh only 1.03kg so the Frames weight is insignificant.
Cheers from Martin B
Mandurah, Western Australia.
mcbunny09@gmail.com

The Surgeon-General warns "Making GPs and SoFs can be adictive".

Slugga

Postby Slugga » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:29 pm

Thanks very much for your comments Guys. I'll get some good ply, I know a good suppler of hoop pine so I might head down that path.

I'm pretty lean so I hope I fit Martin B :-) I'll keep the pics flowing as the build starts.

glint
KAYAK: sof home built greenland + prowler4.5

Postby glint » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:19 am

I used 18mm x18mm cedar for my stringers and they have proved to be quite strong enough, easy to work with and gave nice looking lines when bent around the frames. my 2 cents worth.

longshot2N4W89
KAYAK: KudzuCraft Longshot

Postby longshot2N4W89 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:49 pm

I built fuselage style boat using Kudzucraft plans for Longshot. Timber used were 12mm marine play for frames; Pawlonia for stringers and Keel; Western Red cedar for Gunwales.
Skinned with 7oz nylon and corey freedmans goop.
Launched about a yaer ago and have probably done 2000 km of paddling around sydney.

Hope this helps

Davebrewer
KAYAK: currently building a Oneocean Cirrus

Postby Davebrewer » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:20 pm

This company is well-respected in the boatbuilding community:
http://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/index.php
Cheers.

Slugga

Postby Slugga » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:16 pm

Thanks for the help guys. Boatcraft is fantastic, I have bought a bit of stuff from them before.

Martin B
KAYAK: Prijon Touryak 470 ; Yost Sea Cruiser SoF with GP

Postby Martin B » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:23 pm

Slugga,
Another suggestion/recommendation - make your cockpit coaming FIRST, particularly if you are laminating it or steam bending it.
You might find that the finished shape is not quite what you thought and then it may not correctly "span" the cockpit opening between frames.

My steam bent coaming (from one 32 x 10mm piece of green Spotted Gum) ended up 25mm longer and 25 mm narrower that the former's shape - had to do quite a bit of "persuading" with a hot air "gun" and temporary spreader sticks to get the shape back to what was required to land correctly on the frames and to allow me to pass thru the opening :oops: .

Another Yost SoF builder in USA had to add 'padding' timbers to the aft end of the masik beam and fore end of the isserfik (rear of cockpit) beam to suit his glue-laminated coaming - see http://dreed.com/boat-building/SeaTour15/coaming.html

Have you made your GP yet ? Practice your woodworking skills.
Cheers from Martin B
Mandurah, Western Australia.
mcbunny09@gmail.com

The Surgeon-General warns "Making GPs and SoFs can be adictive".

mariocargol
KAYAK: skin on frame aleut MAE AC

Postby mariocargol » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:46 am

longshot2N4W89 wrote:I built fuselage style boat using Kudzucraft plans for Longshot. Timber used were 12mm marine play for frames; Pawlonia for stringers and Keel; Western Red cedar for Gunwales.
Skinned with 7oz nylon and corey freedmans goop.
Launched about a yaer ago and have probably done 2000 km of paddling around sydney.

Hope this helps

hi!! is your kayak still ok?
in my experience with paulownia i've seen it is very fragile and would like to use it but i'm afraid i will break the stringers or keelson, i was going to make a east greenland kayak as light as possible but i'm not sure at all if i should use it..

allan
KAYAK: Strip built sea kayaks, TK1 and K1s, SOF Sea kayak,TC1, C1 all designed with Kayak Foundry.

Postby allan » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:39 am

I have a SOF with Paulownia stringers and I would not hesitate to use it again.

What matters in the strength to weight ratio. Paulownia has a high ratio.

Do a search for "strength to weight paulownia" and you will find comments such as the following:

Strength – Paulownia timber has the highest strength to weight ratio of any timber although unsuitable for house building.http://www.paulowniawood.uk/

The high ratio of strength/weight makes the Paulownia timber irreplaceable in shipbuilding, aviation, for surfboards, caravans etc.
http://paulowniatrees.eu/learn-more/paulownia-timber/

Return to “KAYAK BUILDING”