Many Folding boat owners?

Skin on frame , Strip built , Stitch & glue , Lets see whats happening in the boat shed.
Zephyr
KAYAK: TRAK

Many Folding boat owners?

Postby Zephyr » Sat May 30, 2015 2:02 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just looking for other folding boat owners to ask a few questions and swap ideas and trip experience.

Zephyr

Mac50L
KAYAK: Mac50L

Re: Many Folding boat owners?

Postby Mac50L » Sun May 31, 2015 8:23 am

My partner owns a Folboat Cooper and I've been through the Feathercraft factory in Vancouver. So, questions?

gnarlydog
KAYAK: skegged kayaks (6) with traditional paddles

Postby gnarlydog » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:12 pm

I have a Folbot Cooper

Sea Gypsy
KAYAK: CLC Chesapeake Tandem Sport. Klepper AEII

Postby Sea Gypsy » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:42 am

Paddling a Klepper Areius II here in NZ.

Do all of my own maintenance and repairs if I can be of help.

Zephyr
KAYAK: TRAK

Postby Zephyr » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:30 am

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies, i might not have mentioned that i have a Skin-on-frame TRAK, but you might know that from other posts.

I'm interested in a range of modifications and fittings, so some questions might not be relevant to some folders as i am sure that they are all different so i'll try and keep it general. Basically i am wanting to fit the folder out to have the same or similar features to any well fitted out hardshell boat, not because i want a different boat but that a lot of these things are useful but not designed for Folders per se.

Here is a little wish list:

Fitting of Sail and probably some sort of rudder or skeg to assist in sailing stability and use. (Sail from FES, not sure about rudder / skeg)

Fitting of pumps for back sea sock and cargo area of the TRAK, this would probably involve two tubes through skin of TRAK on back deck near combing. Pumps and batteries to be attached to cargo straps behind seat.

Fit water tube to allow drinking tube access to water fixed to cargo straps inside boat probably behind seat, particularly useful in hot climates where water gets hot on the deck, but also good for boat stability. Intend to fit on back deck near combing.

Fit additional cargo straps inside cockpit below combing on skin below side jacks to attach small pouches or in my case small tripod bag but could be used for fishing rod, spare jack or anything long. (Northwater have a nice pouch system but i have note tried it out yet).

Better solutions for mounting cameras mainly on front deck. (will depend on sail design and rigging).

Sea sock could be fitted under seat relatively easily, will just need a rubber seal around bracket that attaches seat to frame of TRAK. Other designs of sea sock have more form, here in an example from MontBell (http://webshop.montbell.jp/common/image ... 351210.jpg) so it seems to me for warmer climates this would be useful whilst still providing some level of protection for jacks and ease of emptying boat if wet exiting. Ill probably look to modify sea sock for now by clipping it to frame inside cockpit but a sea sock with panels would probably be a better solution.

So my questions are:

1) Can anyone recommend tubes that are designed to go through kayak skin? I'm thinking a flexible PVC fabric rather than solid plastic.
2) Any recommendations on Skeg / Rudder set-up, mainly for use with sail?
3) Any PVC style loops as an alternative to cargo straps for attaching things to such a sail rigging, and so forth? i like the Northwater Cargo straps but need a smaller option for some things.
4) Rubber seals to modify sea sock or maybe alternative sea socks that are more form fitting to inside of boat.

Just finally, as a longer term prospect, any recommendations of a folding double kayak.

I have heard that in the old days people made there own folding boats, so that might be a interesting prospect.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and experience you can offer.

Zephyr

Apathizer
KAYAK: Pakboats Quest 155

Postby Apathizer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:48 pm

I have a Pakboats Quest 155, which is moderately seaworthy. I generally try to avoid rough conditions, but they've found be a couple times none the less. My Quest handled the conditions just fine, though I hope I don't encounter them again. Not because of the boat, but because I didn't find it that enjoyable.

It'd too bad folders are still such a niche' item. For those of us living in urban areas without a car, they're really our only option. While there are generally some compromises with them, a good folders is still a fine boat.

Return to “KAYAK BUILDING”