shearwater 16

Skin on frame , Strip built , Stitch & glue , Lets see whats happening in the boat shed.
gsimson
KAYAK: Cetus,Taran, Delphin, Firestar, SOF Disko Bay, Shearwater 16, Fenn ski

shearwater 16

Postby gsimson » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:06 am

finally finished a Shearwater 16 for my daughter. She is a very occasional paddler only and is happy with the way it handles and paddles.
DSC08696.JPG
S&G with a few Huon pine strips in the bow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Roland
KAYAK: Mirage 580, Greenland T

Re: shearwater 16

Postby Roland » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:44 pm

Looks great! Wouldn't it be nice to build one entirely of Huon pine! What other timbers did you use?

jonathan
KAYAK: valley nordkapp rm, mirage 530

Postby jonathan » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:12 pm

Nice...
I should say your daughters very lucky!

haresfur
KAYAK: Nordcapp Poly, Wilderness Systems Tempest 165, Yost Sea Rider folder, Pyranha H2

Postby haresfur » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:34 pm

Beauty!

Camanche73
KAYAK: point 65 XP18, guillemot, BTD Frej, North Sea tourer

Postby Camanche73 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:31 pm

Looks great!
What did you use to make the cockpit coaming?

gsimson

Postby gsimson » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:12 am

It's a plywood stitch and glue, 4mm thick for the hull and 3mm for the deck. The coaming is just made of plywood laminations.
Took it out in a 15 kn breeze and it behaved admirably, very happy with the way it performs in a choppy sea though had to work a bit to keep it on track with a quartering following sea.

allan
KAYAK: Strip built sea kayaks, TK1 and K1s, SOF Sea kayak,TC1, C1 all designed with Kayak Foundry.

Postby allan » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:58 pm

Roland wrote:Looks great! Wouldn't it be nice to build one entirely of Huon pine! What other timbers did you use?

There are a couple of reasons why building a kayak entirely from Huon Pine is not a particularly attractive proposition.

The first issue is the cost.

The second issue is the weight. Huon pine has a density of about 520 kg/m3. WRC is about 350 kg/m3 and Paulownia is about 280 kg/m3.

I have found that roughly half the weight of a stripper is the strips in the hull and deck. So a Huon Pine stripper would be about 6 to 8 kg heavier than the same kayak made from Paulownia. While the Huon Pine strips might be made slightly thinner, it would still be significantly heavier.

Another reason is that Huon PIne is such a good boat building timber that in some ways it is a waste to use it for a strip built kayak. In order to be strong enough, a stripper needs to have a layer of glass on both sides, so the timber never gets wet.

Paulownia starts off quite pale, a bit like Tassie Oak, but after a few years' use, the kayak develops a golden colour. Every one of my older kayaks has prompted someone to ask me if it is made from Huon Pine. To the untrained eye, the colour is similar, but the grain is of course quite different.

I have worked with Huon Pine and have seen some quite amazing pieces, but while it might be nice to dream of a kayak made from Huon Pine, I have never thought that it was a good idea.

BTW, that Shearwater looks great.

gsimson

Postby gsimson » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:00 pm

allan wrote:
Roland wrote:Looks great! Wouldn't it be nice to build one entirely of Huon pine! What other timbers did you use?

There are a couple of reasons why building a kayak entirely from Huon Pine is not a particularly attractive proposition.

The first issue is the cost.

The second issue is the weight. Huon pine has a density of about 520 kg/m3. WRC is about 350 kg/m3 and Paulownia is about 280 kg/m3.

I have found that roughly half the weight of a stripper is the strips in the hull and deck. So a Huon Pine stripper would be about 6 to 8 kg heavier than the same kayak made from Paulownia. While the Huon Pine strips might be made slightly thinner, it would still be significantly heavier.

Another reason is that Huon PIne is such a good boat building timber that in some ways it is a waste to use it for a strip built kayak. In order to be strong enough, a stripper needs to have a layer of glass on both sides, so the timber never gets wet.

Paulownia starts off quite pale, a bit like Tassie Oak, but after a few years' use, the kayak develops a golden colour. Every one of my older kayaks has prompted someone to ask me if it is made from Huon Pine. To the untrained eye, the colour is similar, but the grain is of course quite different.

I have worked with Huon Pine and have seen some quite amazing pieces, but while it might be nice to dream of a kayak made from Huon Pine, I have never thought that it was a good idea.

BTW, that Shearwater looks great.

Hi Allan, Roland, here's one I built earlier, entirely Huon and King Billy pine(plus myrtle trim), It didn't work out too heavy at all, still an easy lift, my guess 18 kg fitted out. I know Paulownia is much lighter but doesn't match the Huon for appearance. You can find lighter weight Huon if you choose carefully. A major problem with using it for strippers is that it is naturally oily so the glass and epoxy may not adhere too well. It also had a tendency to distort along it's length with the grain pattern so hard to get a good straight edge with some of it. Reckon I'll stick with King Billy or cedar from now on. Haven't tried Paulownia though, the coarse grain doesn't appeal , the light weight does!.
finished8.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark Sundin
KAYAK: Expedition Kayaks Audax

Postby Mark Sundin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:47 am

Love the todger Simmo!

gsimson

Postby gsimson » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:55 pm

Mark Sundin wrote:Love the todger Simmo!

only one hand on it too.

allan
KAYAK: Strip built sea kayaks, TK1 and K1s, SOF Sea kayak,TC1, C1 all designed with Kayak Foundry.

Postby allan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:29 pm

I have only used a small amount of King Billy Pine for some Euro paddle shafts. I was in Tasmania about six or eight years ago and bought some King Billy specifically for that job. When I mentioned to the old gentleman in the timberyard near Queenstown that I wanted to use it for paddle shafts, he said that it was a popular timber for making oars, amongst other boat building applications, so I though it would be ideal.

I remember it being very nice timber to work and I quite liked the colour. I assume your intention to consider it for future builds means that you also found it easy to use.

My impression is that your Baidarka has quite a bit of King Billy, possibly over 50%. That might have helped keep the weight down a little since I believe it is about 400kg/m3.

You are right about the Paulownia being much less interesting than Huon or even King Billy. However I treat it as a plain canvas on which I can apply more interesting timbers as decorative features and I can't resist the light weight. My K1 is 8.3 kg and my granddaughter's 3.7 metre kayak is about 5.7 kg.

gsimson

Postby gsimson » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:17 pm

Yes Allan, it was about 50/50 King Billy/Huon. The King Billy was beautiful to work with but harder to get now and expensive so won't be using too much of it. The old boaties used to use it for oars and seats in the piner's punts because it didn't tend to raise blisters like Huon. Your kayaks look great.

Return to “KAYAK BUILDING”