SOF completed

Skin on frame , Strip built , Stitch & glue , Lets see whats happening in the boat shed.
Peter&Ro
KAYAK: At the moment nothing I am going to build 2 SOF kayks

SOF completed

Postby Peter&Ro » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:02 pm

Well finally took a bit of time but where ready for the coating to finish it all of I'll be using Corys goop app;lied with a small roller with a slight tint of one of his pigments the SOF is 18.5 foot long 19.75 inches wide from keel to top of coming at rear is 6.5" and at the front of coming is 11" weigt without the goop applied is 13kg
Cheers peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SimonM
KAYAK: Tahe Reval

Re: SOF completed

Postby SimonM » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:03 pm

That is a thing of beauty.

haresfur
KAYAK: Nordcapp Poly, Wilderness Systems Tempest 165, Yost Sea Rider folder, Pyranha H2

Postby haresfur » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:02 pm

Sweet. Looks like it takes after an East Greenland qajaq.

TIMAX
KAYAK: Valley Aqanaut

Postby TIMAX » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:12 am

Beautiful.
So are you going to use a Tuiliq ?

trakka
KAYAK: Epic GPS, SOF Gentry Baffin Bay 5.3.

Postby trakka » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:40 am

Finished my SOF before xmas, tracks & paddles nicely, although I do have to lengthen my blade one side with a strong stern quarter breeze but no need for rudder which keeps the weight down. All up cost about $700.00 wood isn't cheap but compared to my Epic GPX its great value for a kayak of the same weight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TomN
KAYAK: 1931 Disco Bay SOF, F1 SOF, Impex Assateague, Anago SOF, Ocean Raider (somewhere out the back)

Postby TomN » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:20 am

Trakka, thats a sleek looking boat. A Gentry design right?
and what is the skin and coating - the sleek black looks great!

TomN
KAYAK: 1931 Disco Bay SOF, F1 SOF, Impex Assateague, Anago SOF, Ocean Raider (somewhere out the back)

Postby TomN » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:22 am

Peter&Ro wrote:Well finally took a bit of time but where ready for the coating to finish it all of I'll be using Corys goop app;lied with a small roller with a slight tint of one of his pigments the SOF is 18.5 foot long 19.75 inches wide from keel to top of coming at rear is 6.5" and at the front of coming is 11" weigt without the goop applied is 13kg
Cheers peter

Peter&Ro,

Your boat is beautiful - lovely lines, and beautifully skinned. Well done :)

trakka

Postby trakka » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:57 am

Hi TomN, Yes,Steve Gentry Baffin Bay 5.3, the skin is KUDZU Crafts 8oz polyester nice to work and sew, with 10% heat gun shrinkage to take out wrinkles. Paint is 2 coats white oil base gloss to seal the weave then 4 coats flat black oil base to fill pin holes and make leak proof. When I build my next one I think my paint covering technique may get it done in 4 coats.

smorgan
KAYAK: mirage 530 + homebuilt ply+ Tiderace Xcite

Postby smorgan » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:33 pm

Trakka
Looked up the Baffin Bay in my Kayaks of Greenland book, the Gentry website says its based on the Greenland Museum Catalog 1550x18.
Im interested in how closely it follows the original.
The drawing shows a double chine. Does the Gentry plan follow this or simplify it with a more usual single chine.
The original appears to have little rocker, how does yours turn.

trakka

Postby trakka » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:21 am

Hi smorgen, Dave simplified it with a single chine, only 35-40mm rocker and you have to be careful when building so you don't lose it. Turns fine, sliding a greenland paddle through the hands helps it more. I haven't paddled in surf or large swell yet but runs well on surface wind chop and stays neutral.

Return to “KAYAK BUILDING”