rudder location

Skin on frame , Strip built , Stitch & glue , Lets see whats happening in the boat shed.
mariocargol
KAYAK: skin on frame aleut MAE AC

rudder location

Postby mariocargol » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:06 pm

hi! i've got a plan from Bjorn Thomasson's sea racer and i see that the rudder's longitudinal location is not the same in all the ones i've seen built. the black one with a silver strip it's got it nearer to the cockpit than the one in the plans.. how does the boat react to it?

why the tipical sea kayaks have got it on the stern and the surfskis have it more centered?

what should i be looking for if i want my kayak for short trips and little playing in the surf?

thanks a lot ;)

Camanche73
KAYAK: point 65 XP18, guillemot, BTD Frej, North Sea tourer

Re: rudder location

Postby Camanche73 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:29 pm

Stern rudders are generally to be able to retract the rudder and prevent damage. Under hull is more efficient, but more prone to damage and harder to fix.
I'm not sure the sea racer's best qualities are its surfing ability. Would be interested to see from somebody who built one as to how it broaches on surf.

Juho
KAYAK: Guillemot Expedition Single,Night Heron SnG,Sea Willow, SOF,Tiderace Vortex,Skimkayaks Beaufort

Re: rudder location

Postby Juho » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:05 pm

Hey mariocargol, you should ask Björn Thomasson directly. In my experience he is more than happy to answer any and all questions regarding his designs. He is usally very prompt as well.

Cheers,
Juho
Jouhou

Return to “KAYAK BUILDING”