Shark takes a bite out of kayak in Moreton Bay

Let us know what happened so we can all be safer paddlers.
NorthSIKer
KAYAK: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Shark takes a bite out of kayak in Moreton Bay

Postby NorthSIKer » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:57 am

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-03/shark-bites-kayaker-moreton-bay-water-police-rescue/8409714

I've heard of a similar story from years ago in Moreton Bay with a sea kayak - thought to be a tiger shark on that occasion and a ferry undertook the rescue. Similar in that the stern was chomped clean off and the boat began to sink.

Maybe not the Great White's but other sharks do seem to like the rudder? I've a few times had much smaller models latch onto my rudder and it is scary enough. But generally the larger sharks (to date!) just have a look and leave you alone.

cheaterparts
KAYAK: Stealth Profisha 525 --- OK Prowler Ultra 4.3.

Re: Shark takes a bite out of kayak in Moreton Bay

Postby cheaterparts » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:31 pm

Mates had some close encounters with some Spencer Gulf pets fishing for King Fish near the power station at Pt Augusta back in Sep 16 first was just a sighting after a boaty had caught its interest

below is a section of the fishing report on the national kayak fishing forum

aussieDave wrote:
they told us that ol' whitey tried to bite the side of a tinny after we left on Saturday, hmmm...., of course we took that with a pinch of salt as we have to be confident that the SS's work or we couldn't do it.
About an hour later some guys in a boat that were drifting just off the intake pipes went to start their motor and ol' whitey turned up and stalked them, I was starting to get a bit apprehensive as I was only about 20 metres away from this stalked boat, I hugged the wall and made my way to Minny, about 20 metres the other side of this stalked boat, we then backed off for a minute then paddled back around the corner to the front of the intake pipes again and caught a glimpse of half a metre of dorsal fin sticking out of the water just behind this boat, hmmmm...., we still placed our lives in the hands of our SS's and hung around for a few hours after ol' whitey disappeared. After a while we had had enough and cruised back to the shacks

Dave

and another trip around the same time Gab another punter I fish with at the same venue had a White take a little chew on his yak tipping him in the water and few nice tear marks through his hull and teeth marks 80 cm round but the fish soon lost interest he re mounted and got to shore safe and sound

he has since invested in a shark shield and bought a new kayak

AndyM
KAYAK: Romany

Postby AndyM » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:46 pm

Interesting, I hope someone will chime in with more details.
* is that a ski?
-
I've been hit twice in the last couple of years (kayak bit, holes in bulkhead, was able to complete trip - about an ounce of water per hour).
* both times at night
* both using the same kayak - (a 'new' one, carbon (black), with a 'fish-scale' sort of look, hmm)
* both off Cumberland Island (Georgia, USA)
I've been paddling this area about 10 years, in a number of different kayaks, no incidents until using this 'fishy' kayak.

Kayakingwithgecko
KAYAK: All sorts

Postby Kayakingwithgecko » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:30 am

Some more details are emerging:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-03/s ... ne/8411798

https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/n ... l/3162335/

He called 000 using a phone. I wonder if a waterproof VHF would have been easier to use in this situation?

Kayakingwithgecko
KAYAK: All sorts

Postby Kayakingwithgecko » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:31 am

NorthSIKer
KAYAK: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby NorthSIKer » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:42 am

Funny thing is what happened to him is pretty much exactly what I have long considered as one of my two most likely rescue scenarios (and the outcome is also what has played out in my mind as most likely). Except I would have pulled the PLB rather than the phone I expect.

Good to see it is not (yet) being over-sensationalised - just likely a curious bite in murky conditions with next to no risk of any follow up attack.

Return to “INCIDENTS-MISHAPS-ACCIDENTS”