Man missing at Altona

Let us know what happened so we can all be safer paddlers.
Camanche73
KAYAK: point 65 XP18, guillemot, BTD Frej, North Sea tourer

Man missing at Altona

Postby Camanche73 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:16 pm

Camanche73
KAYAK: point 65 XP18, guillemot, BTD Frej, North Sea tourer

Re: Man missing at Altona

Postby Camanche73 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:18 pm

NorthSIKer
KAYAK: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby NorthSIKer » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:57 pm

Wow - that timeframe, this time of year, in that ocean. I really hope it works out ok and he has made landfall somewhere somehow already.

cheaterparts
KAYAK: Stealth Profisha 525 --- OK Prowler Ultra 4.3.

Postby cheaterparts » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:31 pm

NorthSIKer wrote:Wow - that timeframe, this time of year, in that ocean. I really hope it works out ok and he has made landfall somewhere somehow already.

your right - it seams apart from no PFD he also wasn't dress for immersion ether - so far the kayak has been found about 30 km down wind from where this kayak had launched although the man has not been found
Altona can catch out the unwary with northerlies as it seams quite protected in close but by the time you notice the wind strength out a bit wider it can be a point of no return for poorly designed kayaks
the bay keeps opening up and land gets further away in all directions
this fellow was using a 2 monks' kayak which isn't much better than a pool toy and with the strong northerly on the Thursday afternoon would have pushed him out into some very ugly water on a kayak that really isn't designed for large seas

It is a worrying problem down here in Vic with many guys getting into kayak fishing are using these cheap poorly designed SOTs
as fisherman first and kayakers a long way second most have had no training and really I'm sure don't understand the dangers

Return to “INCIDENTS-MISHAPS-ACCIDENTS”