New rescue beacon

Let us know what happened so we can all be safer paddlers.
gnarlydog
KAYAK: skegged kayaks (6) with traditional paddles

New rescue beacon

Postby gnarlydog » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:17 am

There is a new rescue beacon about to be released, that is if it gets put into production.
I was always dubious about the reported efficiency of flares and I hear that they often don't fire.
Here is an alternative that theoretically would have a better visibility: http://www.rescuemeballoon.com/
Do you think it has merit?

Camanche73
KAYAK: point 65 XP18, guillemot, BTD Frej, North Sea tourer

Re: New rescue beacon

Postby Camanche73 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:18 pm

Looks fantastic!
Rotary aircraft may have a slight issue if its blowing around near their aircraft, but I'm sure there would be a way around that. Perhaps the swimmer would just have to release it before the aircraft gets too close.

Jmuzz
KAYAK: Nordkapp, V10, K1

Postby Jmuzz » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:55 pm

Would be a good solution for position marking.
However can a cylinder that size inflate a balloon sufficiently?
C02 canisters are only around 6L volume (says google), don't know how a similar canister of helium performs but if its similar it would need to be bigger.

It can be answered with maths, but where is their breakdown of that?
Basic questions, target weight of baloon, volume of balloon, size of canister, realistic pressure of canister. Show formulas (an hours work, not much to ask) proving it is a viable idea.

Pretty skeptical of these things asking for money when they have zero proof of the physics of their product on the page, just 3D images and print.

JohnA
KAYAK: Australis Gecko, Valley Nordkapp RM.

Postby JohnA » Fri May 01, 2015 4:18 pm

I would have thought that a volume of 20L would be a reasonable sort of size. 1 mole of gas at STP occupies 22.4 Litres. For helium that's 4 grams.
The capacity of carbon dioxide "sparklet" bulbs varies but, some readily available ones hold 8g or about 0.18 of a mole or 4 litres at STP. So if you had the same pressurization you would need a canister about four times the size of a sparklet bulb. Sounds very feasible to me.

Might be problematic in really heavy weather. Might be issues with it deflating over time as helium tends to leak pretty easily too. But as with all safety gear there are pros and cons. This could have a place. Weight for weight if I had to pick one solution, it would be an EPIRB/PLB with a strobe. I don't know too many canny paddlers who only carry one option. Marine radio, flares, PLB, signal mirror, sea dye, V sheet. Most paddlers have room for more than one of these.

If I was going to carry a balloon, I would want to incorporate an extended antenna into the tether. It would boost the range of a marine radio dramatically.

Return to “INCIDENTS-MISHAPS-ACCIDENTS”