Belgian kayaker drowns at North Cape

Let us know what happened so we can all be safer paddlers.
Paul Nollen
KAYAK: Dagger Charleston

Belgian kayaker drowns at North Cape

Postby Paul Nollen » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:16 am

A 31-year-old Belgian man from Lier drowned just before reaching his final destination after a journey of more than 4,000 km. The experienced kayaker departed from his hometown of Lier four months ago, and headed for the North Cape in Norway, the northernmost point of Europe, report Mediahuis newspapers.

Michiel Delille’s intention was to kayak all the way to the North Cape via the rivers Nete and Meuse, among others. His journey went smoothly for the most part, according to the letters he sent home to friends and family to reassure them. However, just 30 km from his final destination, the dot on the GPS that was tracking Delille disappeared from the screen.

Shortly thereafter, fishermen found his lifeless body, and his kayak turned up several days later. The man drowned in the Barents Sea. The exact circumstances are not yet known

http://www.xpats.com/belgian-kayaker-drowns-north-cape

Accordingly to unconfirmed news Michiel died from hypothermia.

Paul

Garry
KAYAK: Sladecraft Comet ,Mirage 580

Re: Belgian kayaker drowns at North Cape

Postby Garry » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:43 am

Sounds familiar.

Reading this I found myself thinking of Andrew McAuley and wondering if it's exhaustion from such an epic trip or whether a touch of complacency arises when getting so close to achieving your goal and letting your guard down for a brief moment ?

I guess we will never know.

JohnA
KAYAK: Australis Gecko, Valley Nordkapp RM.

Re: Belgian kayaker drowns at North Cape

Postby JohnA » Fri May 01, 2015 3:38 pm

Tragic. So sorry for his family.

Return to “INCIDENTS-MISHAPS-ACCIDENTS”