Strap saws

Let us know what happened so we can all be safer paddlers.
Boatsie
KAYAK: Nadgee Wanderer, 70s glass 15 ft, 2 Winner Otiums

Strap saws

Postby Boatsie » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:14 pm

I used to use rhino cradles on a flat fibre glass canopy. The boat seated nicely. The straps were fastened along the side of the ute which meant the straps were hinged on the canopy edge. While traveling the wind and edge would cut the straps.
I guess useful if planning to cart upon a canopy.

Boatsie

Re: Strap saws

Postby Boatsie » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:41 pm

Just following up on transport.

In Australia we are allowed the lesser of 3.7 metres or 60% of the wheel base with rear overhang .
Rear overhang being measured from the rear axle(not the bumper bar).
I drive a midget car sipping fuel but aye, I can't see 110kmph being secure. Mates hound me regarding why such long boats, getta wagon, etc. Works ok, wind is the damage bringer. I just sit about 70 and make way for mirrored traffic!
Found when driving the ute 400km+ for a paddle that when straps had been cut through many times, continually shorterening them, I finally reduced my vehicle speed to 70 and failed to fray the remaining short straps (same lengths as per purchased holds when lashed down).

Mac50L
KAYAK: Mac50L

Postby Mac50L » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:51 pm

The canopy edge would cut the straps? How? Why?

The correct way to fasten a kayak is to tie the ends to the ends of the vehicle. You can buy short loops that can be fastened to bolts along the edge of the body that the bonnet usually covers for the front end. I always use the towing loops under the front of a vehicle and fasten at the rear to the tow hitch or tow loops if there are rear ones.

Doing that holds the kayak on the rack and the rack on the vehicle while also stopping the kayak slewing if there is a side wind.

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:32 am

. The canopy edge would cut the straps? How? Why?

Yes. Perpendicular flat roof flat sides. Utility tie down rail was below the canopy. I used the rails to secure the straps. One edge was OK because gunnel overhung canopy. Wind would sea saw the sea kayak straps on far side. Lol. Just kept cutting away at strap at speeds over 70ish.
No room due to width to tie up (just under 2 kayak widths). Very limited budget. Ended up tubing racks with old steel tubes on $20 worth of u bolts/washers/nuts, four offcut timber ends and a cover of sikaflex. Worked perfectly then, bars 1.5-2m separation. No bow/stern tie Downs, 5 m kayaks loaded deck down.

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:41 am

Just scored roof racks for my 3Dr hatch. Trying to figure how to mount a 3rd rack above bonnet catch. Thinking of holing guards and straight up and across . Too me this would be easier to carry once done, lol factory crank bHp 110 though.
Probably struggle to do limit anyway aye. Lol.
If any ideas regarding such I'll be reading. I know boats will be safe above roof latched yet with 3 bars 3-4 metres apart they'll be happy on ocean cruises (100+km drive or paddle)

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:21 am

I measured. 3 bars apart 2.6-3.1 metres.
My car is allowed a kayak up to 5.97metres length.
Now just have to figure how to fasten securely and low budget the front rail.

Anyway. Point was when lashing straps I had about 0.5 metres of length either side of an edge and the wind would sea saw them and cut like a folded paper piece on a ruler.

mattsema4
KAYAK: Valley Nordkapp RM, Epic 18x Sport

Postby mattsema4 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:32 am

Hey Nathan,

Just saw your post. I have seen an additional bar attached to the tow bar. Could be a much simpler solution to your boat carrying problem?

Matt

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:14 pm

No tow bar Matt,
I have front/rear tow points though.
Just started working on the normal racks. Bought whispbar which should sit 105-110mm apart. They're held down by two pop rivits per leg. A 6mm screw then fastens them to the legs. Modifying them by drilling 3 roof holes instead of two. The 6mm will go all the way through and spread load via a washer. Down side is need to pull back roof lining and reglue after. Upside is it's a cheap car with a good fuel sipping donk and no rust. Another downside is I'll need to leave roof racks attached.

No where secure at front of car. Thought about engine support bar and sharing the main bolts but not going there as I would end up with a 2metre lever on the donks main support. Chatted with a couple of older mates; dad and an x mechanic, regarding drilling through quarter panels and sleaving uprights such that when not in use I'll just have two neat holes and three straight bars that can be thrown in the hatch. When in use, main kayak fulcrum still being the leading normal roof rack, although not needing to have over bonnet bar that strength, still plenty strong enough. More so to stabilize wind baffling effect.
Anyway that plan not hurried, I carried before and most police people are decent. I used flags and lights and made ends very obvious. Never been queried regarding 'yaks although my mate was and his was legal length.
I was more concerned about flexing forces on boat, when I get around to fitting a front bar I was hoping lifestyle be easier, hence low roof, long bars.
On way home seen a couple of 'yaks headed out. They looked secure. I'll just drive slower on highway.

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:17 pm

Ps. Thank you

Return to “INCIDENTS-MISHAPS-ACCIDENTS”