Flopping

Forum rules
If your in the kayak industry please let us know about your product or service here.
gages
KAYAK: Nadgee Kayaks

Flopping

Postby gages » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:04 am

Just a heads up,

I recently jumped into the world of designing a sea kayak from scratch , inspired by other new designs and the growing market I set about getting it all together with the help of a third party in the designing stage .
What I learnt was that designing and building a sea kayak is a long hard road.
I didn't flop anything but would have been way easier to do so
I didn't take shortcuts in this process and went about this the correct way ....the long hard road.
This took 992 hours and many $$$$ along the way .

I could have easily copied ( flopped ) a copy of competitors boats and jiggled it and called it my own but not for one minute would I consider doing this ...that would be copying , copying a lot of hard work and investment from some one else' s long hard road .

I have just seen photos of a soon to be released sea kayak that has been blatantly copied from an popular overseas product , jigged a little so it can be called their own .

I won't name and shame just yet , hopefully the people involved will see this and see their wrongs and do something about it .

Yes be inspired by a product to want to build your own similar design but to "flop" a copy and make little changes is beyond low , I reckon and I hope if it does come onto the market people will see it for what it is , a copy , not theirs but a simple copy .
They know who they are and I'm sure when they read this they will feel the guilt and shame , especially with the photos I have.
It's also been done to me with a design that I bought here in Australia so know the feeling the original designer will feel when they see this new boat .( but that's another story)
Hence my posting , I know the hurt copying does .
Just a heads up

Paddle Dog 52
KAYAK: Current Designs / Solstice GT, Nomad, Extreme HV, Libra XT tandem.

Re: Flopping

Postby Paddle Dog 52 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:50 am

Yea that does suck. I use to race offshore powerboats Skaters and they were popped a ton of times by others which is sad. Laws or lack of them sucks you have to change so little anyone can copy and just change the decks a little. Some don't even bother to do that. :evil:

Camanche73
KAYAK: point 65 XP18, guillemot, BTD Frej, North Sea tourer

Postby Camanche73 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:39 pm

gages wrote:Just a heads up

I have just seen photos of a soon to be released sea kayak that has been blatantly copied from an popular overseas product , jigged a little so it can be called their own .

I won't name and shame just yet , hopefully the people involved will see this and see their wrongs and do something about it .

Yes be inspired by a product to want to build your own similar design but to "flop" a copy and make little changes is beyond low , I reckon and I hope if it does come onto the market people will see it for what it is , a copy , not theirs but a simple copy .
They know who they are and I'm sure when they read this they will feel the guilt and shame , especially with the photos I have.
It's also been done to me with a design that I bought here in Australia so know the feeling the original designer will feel when they see this new boat .( but that's another story)
Hence my posting , I know the hurt copying does .
Just a heads up

Any word if this boat hit the market? Would be interested to know as a consumer

Boatsie
KAYAK: Nadgee Wanderer, 70s glass 15 ft, 2 Winner Otiums

Postby Boatsie » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:23 pm

I agree with you Lawrence, design takes longtime yet as a mutual lover of our water ways, admiring someones discovery of how to blend flat water cruising effort while also finding rough stability became genius in motion and a thoroughbred emerged. Irregular chines disturbing flat water pace yet encouraging the displaced absence of fluid to be flooded directional as to maintain pace when broad side tho rough are so inspirational upon my low kayaking experienced eyes. Not round like a yatch that uses her deep tapered edge to track steady, not like a surfers hard edge using much more power than 1 man to scribe her tight course, an expedition kayak that uses confused to aid and maintain pace.
I don't understand copy cats neither. I am happy that that particular vessel that I have never paddled (and I have no idea of dubbed vessel neither) is why I chose to study into sea kayaking and more importantly which kayak/s would/should keep me alive.
I ain't that special, just surprised at how some of you guys/ladies can clock up long kms during glass and during confused surface conditions.
Congratulations to you guys/girls that put sweat/blood and tears into the many beautiful designs out there.

Return to “COMMERCIAL VENDORS”