Storm gp

Paddles , Epirbs , Cup Holders , Helmets , Radios etc
Forum rules
Please remember this is NOT a commercial forum! Please refer to "Rules of the Forum" for clarification
Boatsie
KAYAK: Nadgee Wanderer, 70s glass 15 ft, 2 Winner Otiums

Re: Storm gp

Postby Boatsie » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:55 pm

Downside is with thought, how much energy of further leverage will be allowed to be redirected toward loom? Might make more sense to chunk the far end to throw with but then far end heavier. Lol.
Pretty sure just chiselling a channel and living with doubt. Might hand bit spare piece for bathtub play

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:11 pm

No no. I lost the plot.. Again.. Just going with a flat curve outer, sharpening near loom channel face short stick.
Be fun to carve it anyway. Guessing time span 2 months

Mac50L
KAYAK: Mac50L

Postby Mac50L » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:12 pm

Boatsie wrote:Downside is with thought, how much energy of further leverage will be allowed to be redirected toward loom? Might make more sense to chunk the far end to throw with but then far end heavier. Lol.
Pretty sure just chiselling a channel and living with doubt. Might hand bit spare piece for bathtub play

It is fairly obvious you don't read what has been written and don't understand what you have been told. What you say doesn't make sense half (most) of the time anyway.

If you make the paddle to the dimensions you have been given, to the shape you have been shown, it will work. The Inuits, Greenland paddle makers and users all know this. I've been making and using them for years yet you who have never made or used one think you have to modify its design.

Mad, don't know how it works and wants to redesign it, just straight mad.

Oh well, at least NZ won the Americas Cup because we understand how things actually work..... And yes, I've spent years at sea, ships, yachts, dinghies, canoes and kayaks. And yes, I know what a J stroke is and have used them.

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:17 pm

With you!
Eskimos survived blood laden vessels. They wanted greater assurance of hit stick not breaking. I admire you, I admire them. Just channeling a little bit for more thrust. Like a lacrosse stick. Can throw ball with flat stick though. My explanation lacks description as I no idea if my carpentry skills will evolve my want. Might ruin a great chance at the known shape. Rare doesn't last the ages like the multiple of common. Should work fine. If not knot, I can scoop up dog done with the long dog done stick.
Will post pics in a month or so.
;)

Mac50L
KAYAK: Mac50L

Postby Mac50L » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:41 pm

Boatsie wrote: Just channeling a little bit for more thrust. Like a lacrosse stick. Can throw ball with flat stick though.

In case you are suggesting a longer lever read this -

http://www.kask.org.nz/paddle-length-th ... -consider/

and this -

http://www.kask.org.nz/gp-vs-euro-paddles/

Pipit
KAYAK: Tiderace, Kaskazi

Postby Pipit » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:12 pm

Can't stand this much longer! Why an obsession with storm paddles? Make a full size paddle and learn to use it proplery first before making a storm paddle.
Go look at manufacturers such as Gearlab, NuuPaddle etc for dimension ideas.

Dimensions for my East Greenland (shoulderless) are:
length 2150mm
blade 90mm
loom 530mm
loom cross section 28x38mm
Western Red Cedar
African Blackwood blade tips
nuu paddle2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:36 am

That's a beautiful paddle bro.
I asked about WRC today, that particular yard was a special order with WRC.

I'm building a short paddle first because I have a small car, it will provide an aggressive stance if the blade bites and I prefer gale conditions over calm winds. I much prefer 1 piece paddles too.

I know lots of you guys/girls are better kayakers than I and I know lots need more practice too.
I've been studied all my life, was born 9 months after the passing of Bruce Lee; tiger Qin temple was breached and I'm still the same old broke bloke that would like to build my own paddle using modern material. The difference to me between nice and rubbish is whether I'd use the paddle or not. This paddle can rot if allowed to weather which should help me keep good faith with some pretty decent people. Hint hint I pick up other peoples rubbish from along side the river and in doing such might be better off in cases when I require assistance. They ain't all human. Anyway different blokes have different strokes. My eyes are not much definition still yet they are both vertical stigmatized hence easy to see quick movement clear. I look forward to a both hand change grasp twice per rev.
Even the Pope has 2ND; kind thank you. I can't describe how intelligent an animal is, I was top of class physics and maths, then at uni I drank 1.5 litres of zambuca half hour before my physics exam. Near blind drunk, I walked out of the exam half hour into a 3 hour exam and scored a distinction. So... Twenty plus years later having worn a personal tracking device attached to my facial bone and having shown the ability to tool less terminate at 6metres in less than half a second, I sit here a tired slave that loves my average pay job and ambition to go sea kayaking regularly. This adult body of mine has been dead twice, knocked out under water many times, open for criticism again, crap at king fu although was once able to throw lightning and just hanging in there in case some rich pricks recognize, hang on, that stuff belongs there. Dimensions Alluring Numerouscy where seen at best as 31 white dots and to help keep where I paddle cleaner and to say thank you to much more/less language skilled than I, I enjoy helping gather rubbish such that when recycling development occurs a layering hot pot or similar, the rubbish collection is on the tip.
I admire that China is growing forests on their buildings. If they were to place solar panels and plain h2o at their coal stations, they could potentially electrify the water, air o2 and fume 2h2 with the coal station burn fume which creates the simplistic form of alcohol; enough to fuel 74% of our internal combustion engines. Amazes me.

So why obsess over a short stick? I've lost communication 2 weeks with my girl friend whom near a war front, I admire long sticks yet just prefer a hand over end brace length. Slow rpm OK with me, I ain't fast. I just 1 tired happy slave.

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:56 am

And regardless of short or long, we don't have cold freezing high oceans down here, our topography different. Our semi protected waters manage 3 metre at best/worst and my swims are about 400 metres max if I ever do fall in. I'm aware of breathing difficulties in shallow water, I was once pulled unconscious from face down in half foot, I guessed that as a job application denial having tryed for a position most of you will never know of.
As per channeling a storm gp, research if interested, I obviously ain't making clear read. You welcome to copy idea if paddle successful with water bracing to get arse of seat. Legs 60%, torso 30% arms 10% is near effort of successful stroke, applied in that order.
A short stick should be much more an aggressive style and in a kayak I won't be worried about accidents with friends. They're often faster.

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:32 pm

Did some chatting.
Here Pine costs about $3.5 per linear metre of 90*45mm
Lots of knots but in stores and can sort through.
Western Red Cedar costs about $28 per lm of 90*42mm
Less knots but not store stocked.

So I'd be looking at $70 plus oil for a 2.5 metre WRC without hardened tips or $12.50 plus oil for a sorted piece of Pine cut between knots and also without hardened tips.
School holidays, lack of carpentry skills, low budget, something to do, well 3 from 4 make it worth while for myself to build a short stick. Here's to the thought of building a longer stick later. I don't want to lose $70 in wood straight up, I can risk $12.50 due to carving too much, etc.
Thank you guys/girls for your advice, just a lover of sea kayaking, especially in clean clear waterways.

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:17 am

I type too much.
C what you meant Mac. Will channel the Pine soon (still lots of housework to do first) yet in store today seen some nice wood. I think it's cedar, very nice wood. At $18 per length at 90mm*19mm*2400mm will be epoxy gluing 2 lengths and quick cutting a normal stick.
Fairly new to sea kayaking yet playing with water a long time I tend to think provided the cross section will handle the grasp a channeled short stick will be worth my while. I'm glad I read your website! A not long to glue and then a day a week later will add a non expensive quality paddle to a quiver.

I think the cat did something in my strawberry pot! Anyone up for a berry? Lol

Cristal15
KAYAK: AE1041

Postby Cristal15 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:15 pm

Mac50L wrote:Western red cedar will be as light or lighter and certainly easier to make. Use the epoxy you have to glue the parts of the paddle as per the URL below.

Can you use a Greenland paddle properly now? If yes, then no real problem, just slide a hand out alternatively from the loom for each stroke.

If no, then you need to learn to use one properly. They are used like Wing paddles. Try stroking with arms straight. This will force you to use body rotation. Then bend an elbow to remove the downside blade out of the water. With body rotation, the blade in the water moves away from the kayak and the difference between a GP and Wing is you need to set up the angle of attack of the leading edge (blade cant) while the Wing paddle tends to do this automatically.

Note - anyone who says you need to use a low angle stroke with a GP hasn't watched YouTubes of good GP paddlers paddling at speed. The stroke is as vertical or more so than an Olympic racing paddler's stroke. At 5 knots my paddle is near vertical during the power stroke.

A GP will not, can not, flutter if used correctly.

https://sites.google.com/site/kayakamf/ ... nd-paddlesTransfers Orly

Same size except the loom is two fists long or even shorter.

OK thank you for the link :)

Return to “ACCESSORIES”