Valley Aquanaut Pump install.

Design , Outfitting , Skegs , Rudders, Pumps , Sails , Modifications
TIMAX
KAYAK: Valley Aqanaut

Valley Aquanaut Pump install.

Postby TIMAX » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:13 pm

Well , my Aquanaut has finally arrived and I have been busy getting it sorted. :D
As many have found the only decent place for a neat pump installation is to mount the pump at your feet with the battery in the front hatch.
I read up on Damiano's magnetic switch and pump install here http://www.qldseakayak.canoe.org.au/def ... /c20256/0/ and must say I couldn't have done this without his efforts to make this info available ;)
The only thing I did differently was to use a NAVRA waterproof plug available from Repco and to mount the switch in Sikoflex and shrink tube. Beware doing this as the switch is a fine glass tube and wont take any flexing :?
My magnet is just Sikoflexed inside a red stopper mounted onto my deck net bungee seen in these pics. I mounted the outlet on the right because although I know I have to practice my offside roll , most off the time I roll to the left and this will stop the water entering the tube. Also yo can see the tube goes higher than the outlet preventing too much splash entry.
When I took the deck bungees off to mount the net , I took the opportunity to cover the deck in a 3M film used on car bumpers to avoid scratches , so this plus a bit of 3M leading edge tape prevents the switch from scratching up the deck. :roll:
Image Reed switch before Sikoflex
Image Box with Relay and battery

Image Box in position held by velcro
Image Pump before switch wiring
Image Switch on
Image Switch off
Image 3M clear film
Image Deck net showing switch location

gages
KAYAK: Nadgee Kayaks

Re: Valley Aquanaut Pump install.

Postby gages » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:02 am

love the carbon/kevlar bulkheads --they look awesome --the pattern alone on carbon/kevlar is sooo sexy to look at

Mark Sundin
KAYAK: Expedition Kayaks Audax

Postby Mark Sundin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:11 am

Good one Tim, what's the 3M tape called? Where did you get it? Do you reckon it's a decent alternative to Helicopter tape?

Maccas
KAYAK: Tiderace Pace17, Valley Aquanaut, Tahe Marine Bay Spirit & Sea Bear Packhorse Double

Postby Maccas » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:52 am

Mark Sundin wrote:Good one Tim, what's the 3M tape called? Where did you get it? Do you reckon it's a decent alternative to Helicopter tape?

Share the name Tim, looks like a great product.

Mark, are you aware of anyone that has installed an electric pump behind the seat in the Aquanaut and solved the outlet problem?
Team Macca

Mark Sundin
KAYAK: Expedition Kayaks Audax

Postby Mark Sundin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:06 am

Probably more appropriate for me to email you Brian, I'll be in touch.

gages
KAYAK: Nadgee Kayaks

Postby gages » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:08 am

There is an excellent alternative to 3M tape or the leading edge tape that signwriters use as industrial stuff (not sure of the name) but if you go to a sign writer and ask for it they will know
I have applied it to two boats and it leaves the leading edge tape way behind ,its a real tricky to put on but you basically put it on with soapy water and then move it around till you have it in the right spot and then leave it for a day to dry and hey presto it's stuck --for ever and awesomely strong and you can hardly see it once its dry --Its also UV resistant to help stop that fading look

Worth checking it out

TIMAX

Postby TIMAX » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:38 pm

The Heli tape is on my keel and people either love it or hate it. I had it on my Mirage and I thought it was great but i'm not hard on my equipment . I bought a roll here http://www.skyshop.com.au/shopdisplaypr ... g+Material You can get it wide in black which would look good! make sure with both products you clean the boat with a water / alcohol solution.

The paint protection film I got as an offcut on E-bay USA . Venture film is another good one now owned by 3M. As gages said applied with soapy water. Too early to see if its any good yet but read the blurbs. If its ok on a racing Ferrari at La Mans then i'm sure its fine for me ;) http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... -PPF/Home/
have a look here for how it is applied.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYAbp51n3MY and here for the tacky blurb.. :roll: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At5qvqz1XWI
Have fun , work clean and don't rush it! ;)

TIMAX

Postby TIMAX » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:47 pm

[/quote]

Mark, are you aware of anyone that has installed an electric pump behind the seat in the Aquanaut and solved the outlet problem?[/quote]
The foot pump install would be WAY easier if you wanted to go that way. 1 more thing to think of is when shouldering the Aquanaut I find it is nose heavy . So my install will just make that worse. My Mirage balanced on my shoulder no hands and was an easier carry even though it was about 4kg heavier..... this one falls forward. :roll:

gnarlydog
KAYAK: skegged kayaks (6) with traditional paddles

Postby gnarlydog » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:41 pm

Timax,
I have recently installed a Rule500 electric bilge pump to a Nordkapp LV.
While there is very little room behind the seat this is my preferred location since that is the lowest spot in the Nordkapp and most water will be removed if pump is located there.
Some bulkheads are rather close to the seat but Valley plastic seats have a lip that can be cut off (go easy there) and give enough room to install a Rule500.
In my case I did not have to cut the seat but I know that Greg Schwarz had to, just a bit.
The trick is to have the outlet located on deck close to the pump.
Since the bulkhead in the Valley kayaks is curved there is very little "real estate' on deck that is just above the cockpit close to the pump.
I fabricated a little curved tube out of fibreglass and drilled the bulkhead into the day hatch (on an angle) and then through the deck.
The result is a much neater job that my previous commercially avaliable through deck plastic fitting.
It is now flush and barely visible.
For picture references see http://www.flickr.com/photos/gnarlydog/3246882948/ and http://www.flickr.com/photos/gnarlydog/3246882948/

Battery box is located in day hatch area away from frequent immersions.

:ugeek:

TIMAX

Postby TIMAX » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:53 pm

Very nice G dog. I talked myself out of doing a similar thing with a section of old carbon fishing rod. Drilling through the join was what I was worried about and making it look neat. Good on you for giving it a go.

arwetheryet
KAYAK: Natureline Mermaid

Postby arwetheryet » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:11 pm

Very neat set up Tim........so neat I cant seem to see where the outlet is on your deck??

Couple more questions. Is the bungee magnet thingy likely to move and there for switch off while your rolling around? Why no non-return valve? and whats the small yellow thingy in the battery box with some black stuff on top? Is it easy enough to access the pump to clean and flush with fresh water occasionally?

BTW when are you going to post some pics of your spuffy new yak. :D
Paul

gnarlydog

Postby gnarlydog » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:52 pm

Tim,
from your pix I can see that you have not installed a fuse in the battery box.
Is it somwhere else?
I know that my suggestion says that is not needed (to operate the pump) but after having a little pebble getting stuck in the pump and blowing a fuse a realized that maybe the fuse should be pretty much mandatory.
It's not too late.
You can add one in line just next to the terminal of the SLA battery.
Being in the Pelican box it is going to be protected from salt water.

Sorry guys for the "outdated" info.
As usual all my work is developing and improving.
Just coz if it ain't broken it does not mean it can not be improved.
I will take some more pix of my latest versions and post them.
I use the Pelican #1010 these days since it is a bit smaller but still fits all the components (gotta be neat though....)

Currently working on a long distance touring fibreglass replacement seat for one of my kayaks... the foam ones are good but don't allow the flow of water to reach the pump behind the seat. I am confident in fabricating a seat that will eliminate the dreaded pins and needles that some short fibreglass seat cause when paddling for hours on end.
It's all in the thigh support and spreading the load of that fat ass of mine :D

TIMAX

Postby TIMAX » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:16 pm

G dog.....i'm finding in my boat most of the water is at my feet , so i'm happy with the location. May still do a neat outlet like the one you just did as the plastic thing is a bit agricultural. Found a titanium version which is cool but.. :roll:

Major disaster though!! The pump has stopped working!! :oops: Connected direct the pump works , I can here the relay switching , the pins inside the plug are all making contact but no pump :?: The only thing I can think is that the relay has a fault as the switch is switching the relay but that doesn't mean the power is getting through the relay properly. Not being electrically minded is not easy to see what the problem could be , but I have bi-passed every thing I can and the pump works so it must be the relay.
I have never blown a pump probably because I use a stainless filter in the base of the pump and usually wash the boat out with fresh water after every paddle so don't get a buildup of crap around it.
Will get another relay in the morning and start again! :roll:

TIMAX

Postby TIMAX » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:28 pm

arwetheryet wrote:Very neat set up Tim........so neat I cant seem to see where the outlet is on your deck??

Couple more questions. Is the bungee magnet thingy likely to move and there for switch off while your rolling around? Why no non-return valve? and whats the small yellow thingy in the battery box with some black stuff on top? Is it easy enough to access the pump to clean and flush with fresh water occasionally?

BTW when are you going to post some pics of your spuffy new yak. :D

Hi Paul , hows the fishing? I was tempted to go out for some Kingfish last weekend but felt I need to get some K's on my stick arms after not paddling since about November!
Any way to answer you question the pic of the deck was before I fired up the drill as I wanted to see where the deck net sat before doing anything.
In my mirage I didn't have a loop or non return valve but did have a stopper on a cord that sat in the outlet. This outlet is much higher on the deck but lower that the hose so i don't think I will get too much water in through it. If I do I will just put a loop in the hose.
The red switch magnet thing moves a bit but the bungee holds it well enough. The magnet has about 4cm maybe of leeway with the reed switch.
The small yellow thing covered in liquid elec tape is the relay for the reed switch. I think it may be a bit dodgy so i'm about to replace with a new 1.
I can reach the pump without too much of a problem to clean out weed etc from the filter I use. I usually give the pump a good blast with a hose after a paddle and then use it to empty the fresh water out witch give it a flush and I can then see that all is working ok.
I work on a nice pic but you know a white boat is terrible to photograph!

mick M
KAYAK: F1 Skin on fraim Nortik navigator folding kayak tide race pace 17

Postby mick M » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:54 am

good morning,
Iv had electric pumps in several kayaks, with no valve ,no loop in the hose and have found that even in rough wether minamal if eny finds its way in and if it dos, is it a real problem?
Iv also seen sum erly kayaks with both a hand pump mounted on the back deck and an electric with the outlet hooked into the inlet of the hand pump, instant one way valve

gnarlydog

Postby gnarlydog » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:30 am

Tim,
after installing more then a dozen bilge pumps in kayaks (some on my kayaks some in others') I have encountered a few times that the pump will not work.
Obviously disappointed I inspected the wiring and while initially blaming a bad relay I found that my wiring was dodgy.
The soldering was rather rushed and consequently ghetto.
I soldered back the wire that was disconnected and all was good.
I have to this date to hear from somebody that is using the realy that I specify saying that his/her pump has stopped working because of it.
As mentioned in my bilge pump document: the failure of an electric pump is usually result from sloppy work (bad wiring/soldering) or faulty switch (not magnetic one).
Have a look at your soldering on the relay and let me know.

TIMAX

Postby TIMAX » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:41 pm

Pulled it all apart and started again. Have done a quick slap together and it is all working . Looks like crap now so will have to do it again properly . Suspect a wire was not making good contact on the pump side of the relay but couldn't tell because of the liquid tape I had it all covered in. Also took the Navra plug out and used just some bullet connectors as with the navra I couldn't see that every thing was making contact although I assumed it probably was.
Now looking for some good silicone covered bullet connectors. Does any one know of any?

gnarlydog

Postby gnarlydog » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:49 pm

Tim, why are you looking for a waterproof connector?
Any particular reason why you want to be able to take the Pelican box out of the hatch?

I just have everything hard wired and in place.
When the battery needs charging I just remove the battery.
Adding a connector to me it seems adding something that can go wrong.
Unless you are willing to spend some serious $ and order something from Radio Spares Australia a cheap connector will not be waterpoof but at the best just water resistant.

arwetheryet
KAYAK: Natureline Mermaid

Postby arwetheryet » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:26 pm

TIMAX wrote:I work on a nice pic but you know a white boat is terrible to photograph!

That wouldn't be a problem for a good photographer......do you know any? ;) :lol:

Tim from all reports, long reef has been firing big time this summer for kingies. Would be just the thing for building up those stick arms.
:P January was pretty ordinary for fishing up here, went out this arvy and picked up a nice 59cm snapper though.......snapper yummm :D

Might do away with my non return valve then, if there not needed.

I ended up using a plastic fuel breather outlet, as the flush mounted out let, you usually use wouldn't fit behind my cockpit. I think the breather works better anyway, as I can angle it away from the cockpit and point it to the back so it won't get too many splashes.

Paul

TIMAX

Postby TIMAX » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:23 pm

hey I like that fuel breather thing. Looks cool and wouldn't get much water going into it , thats the problem with a super flush one like G Dogs , that film of water you get washing over goes straight in but the small lip on a standard skin fitting is enough to reduce the flow. I remember a Mirage paddler with a flush one and he was talking about it. . . The system I thought briefly off was to use a section of old ugly stick fishing rod and have it sit proud of the deck by a few mm's . Run it through at an angle from behind the seat to just near the day hatch.I wasn't confident in doing a neat job so maybe next time. . The Kingies have been mostly around 63 cm , 65 being the limit. Still they are fun!

Return to “KAYAK TALK”