Clarence river Wilderness Lodge - sea kayak?

Design , Outfitting , Skegs , Rudders, Pumps , Sails , Modifications
gbc
KAYAK: paddleyak kingfisher, emotion exhilarator, valley aquanaut, rosco canadian 15 , rosco tk1

Clarence river Wilderness Lodge - sea kayak?

Postby gbc » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:22 am

Some friends have collared me for a paddle this weekend, with a whole day paddle from the Lodge and an afternoon pickup by the Lodge owner somewhere downstream. This is as much info as I have been given.
My aquanaut is plastic so I am thinking I will throw it in. The internet photos all show weekend warriors cruising down in open Canadians so apart from a bit of dragging over river rock, I'm not expecting water like the upper Nymboida? I have descended from Platypus flat before.
Has anybody been to this part of the country before?

ronnyb
KAYAK: Dagger Vertigo, Eskimo Salto, "no brand" SLSA racing ski

Re: Clarence river Wilderness Lodge - sea kayak?

Postby ronnyb » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:47 pm

Hi gbc

Suggest you give Kev from Acacia Canoe Sales and Hire a call. He has been a white water paddler for like … forever! I’m sure he has done quite a bit on the Clarence River and its tributaries so he should be able to tell you what to expect.

Kayakingwithgecko
KAYAK: All sorts

Postby Kayakingwithgecko » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:13 pm

Hi
I have paddled this section many times (in white water kayaks and canoes).
It is very simple and straight forward - a few grade 1 Rapids separated by pools.
The level of the river will be the crucial to how much scraping you do down the rapids.
Enjoy.
Gerard

gbc
KAYAK: paddleyak kingfisher, emotion exhilarator, valley aquanaut, rosco canadian 15 , rosco tk1

Postby gbc » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:54 am

Thanks guys, boat is loaded up. I spoke with the landowner yesterday as well so I am happy enough to hit it. The river is falling fast so the boat might have a few extra witness marks, but that's what it's all about. Even dragged out the old polyprop thermals for a bit of wet work. Have a good weekend!

gbc

Postby gbc » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:51 pm

Thanks for the heads up. The sea kayak certainly was a bit long for some of the chutes with bends and trees in the middle, but we all got down ok, and those of us that had a scream are already planning the next stage of river from Paddy's down to Hootens. Any Intel on that section?

Return to “KAYAK TALK”