New sail: SeaDog Commander

Design , Outfitting , Skegs , Rudders, Pumps , Sails , Modifications
Mark Sundin
KAYAK: Expedition Kayaks Audax

Re: New sail: SeaDog Commander

Postby Mark Sundin » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:36 am

DSC_1502.jpeg
Here's one first made in 2004 by Andrew Eddy, available commercially in Sydney ever since.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mick M
KAYAK: F1 Skin on fraim Nortik navigator folding kayak tide race pace 17

Postby mick M » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:55 am

Mark Sundin wrote:
DSC_1502.jpeg
Here's one first made in 2004 by Andrew Eddy, available commercially in Sydney ever since.

Thort id seen the design before another design riped of from another designer by the same colprits is it eny wonder im geting a bit jaded by the lack of integrity of some of the individuals within our small comunity.

peejay
KAYAK: Dancer, P&H Scorpio LV Mk2, Hybrid 550 Tiderace Xplore'L

Postby peejay » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:22 pm

The Eddy sail and the Commander look completely different to me. This appears to be yet another attempt to denigrate the Sea Dog kayak sail maker who is just providing a quality option in a market that needs a little competition.
BTW my wife and I own 3 FEKS and 3 Seadogs, so I am happy to share the love.

Mark Sundin

Postby Mark Sundin » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:31 pm

Guys I didn't accuse anyone of copying anything. Just pointing out that sometimes 'the revolution' is just another minute twist to what's been around for ever.

If Gnarly says that this is is his entire design and work, and it's something available for everyone to buy and try, criticise, review, you name it, I welcome that wholeheartedly.

Mark.

peejay
KAYAK: Dancer, P&H Scorpio LV Mk2, Hybrid 550 Tiderace Xplore'L

Postby peejay » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:42 pm

Bravo Mark. That's as it should be.
I do in fact know that Gnarly and Sea Dog spent many hours one Saturday coming up with ideas that would give Gnarly a product that was consistent with his vision. The Commander was the result, and the resulting sail came out how it came out. If it resembled any others on the market then it would have been a coincidence.

TIMAX
KAYAK: Valley Aqanaut

Postby TIMAX » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:18 pm

Mark Sundin wrote:Guys I didn't accuse anyone of copying anything. Just pointing out that sometimes 'the revolution' is just another minute twist to what's been around for ever.

Mark.

Funny you say that Mark. As an non sailor they all look pretty close to me. Im sure the differences are in the details but with a triangle of sail cloth how many things can you do? Easy i imagine for several designers to all come up with very similar solutions to the same problems.

gsimson
KAYAK: Cetus,Taran, Delphin, Firestar, SOF Disko Bay, Shearwater 16, Fenn ski

Postby gsimson » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:22 am

Latest from Tas....and it's got a bendy mast to spill the gusts
sail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark Sundin

Postby Mark Sundin » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:53 am

Finally the big sail to match the BIIGGG rudder!

gnarlydog
KAYAK: skegged kayaks (6) with traditional paddles

Postby gnarlydog » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:37 pm

I understand that Tasmania is the birth of modern sea kayak sailing but I did not know it's also home to incredibly brave kayakers
I bow to the master

ridley
KAYAK: Mirage 580

Postby ridley » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:07 pm

As Queensland weather was displaying its best on the Winter Solstice, with perfect 15 knot winds, a group of us paddled the sheltered waters of Moreton Bay. Quite by chance SeaDog history was on display.
SeaDog sails have come a long way since the first prototype 15 months ago, to the latest Commander Clear-View with twin battens.
From left to right: the very first SD prototype which still regularly makes its appearance on the bay. The colourful distinctive trait that made SD so popular are evident in the first 2 pics. Then came the Black Diamond series using hi tech sail cloth with some buyers requesting them to be reefable as shown in the pic. Finally the lower aspect but still efficient high-tech sail currently at the pinnacle of design and workmanship, the first SeaDog Commander Clear-View
In a very short time SeaDog sails have been recognized as premium products that have now been shipped all over Australia and so far exported to the UK, Sweden, Finland and Canada.

mick M
KAYAK: F1 Skin on fraim Nortik navigator folding kayak tide race pace 17

Postby mick M » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:14 pm

What can you say ???? Thay all look very familar

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:41 pm

ridley wrote:As Queensland weather was displaying its best on the Winter Solstice, with perfect 15 knot winds, a group of us paddled the sheltered waters of Moreton Bay. Quite by chance SeaDog history was on display.
SeaDog sails have come a long way since the first prototype 15 months ago, to the latest Commander Clear-View with twin battens.
From left to right: the very first SD prototype which still regularly makes its appearance on the bay. The colourful distinctive trait that made SD so popular are evident in the first 2 pics. Then came the Black Diamond series using hi tech sail cloth with some buyers requesting them to be reefable as shown in the pic. Finally the lower aspect but still efficient high-tech sail currently at the pinnacle of design and workmanship, the first SeaDog Commander Clear-View
In a very short time SeaDog sails have been recognized as premium products that have now been shipped all over Australia and so far exported to the UK, Sweden, Finland and Canada.

Ridley, can i ask if you have commercial involvement in Sea Dog Sails? Your first post on this forum reads and looks like its straight out of a agency.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:44 pm

Many posts have been deleted as they are clearly commercial.
Please read the rules of the forum if you have doubts.
Thanks

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:10 pm

Just as a reminder.
Thanks

1-Please remember the pages of The Sea Kayak Forum are not for selling your product or service.
2-Topics started by an industry member about their own product OR a product they are commercially involved with will be removed.
3-You can answer a direct question about your product but you can't then do "the big sell". Please take the conversation "Off LIne" for that
4-Please don't "bag" another product.
5-Please don't publish prices on the forum.
6-You must show your commercial interest within your signature. This can be a clic- through link.
I'm sure you will understand and be aware when you are pushing the boundaries.
I will edit posts at best and delete them at worst.
Please feel free to e-mail me with ANY concerns.
and i'm sorry if at times you feel i'm being harsh.
ONE MORE THING!
IF YOU FEEL YOUR PRODUCT IS BEING UNFAIRLY REVIEWED WITHIN ANY THREADS , PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Return to “KAYAK TALK”