Footwear

Paddles , Epirbs , Cup Holders , Helmets , Radios etc
Forum rules
Please remember this is NOT a commercial forum! Please refer to "Rules of the Forum" for clarification
Floater
KAYAK: looking

Footwear

Postby Floater » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:48 pm

Hi everyone, I hope there are some good suggestions.
I am looking for advice on footwear. Something to cushion my heel and side of foot against the hull but actually fits in the kayak. I have been borrowing an old fibreglass kayak (has no markings) that is a bit pokey and rough inside, runners don't fit and socks get holes at contact point against fibreglass. They need to stay on my feet in sticky mud and if I swim.
Previous experience with neoprene booties has not been good, they stink up the car to and from the water.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

cheaterparts
KAYAK: Stealth Profisha 525 --- OK Prowler Ultra 4.3.

Re: Footwear

Postby cheaterparts » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:39 pm

Floater wrote:Previous experience with neoprene booties has not been good, they stink up the car to and from the water.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

do the Booties work apart from the stinky car problem -- all of my gear gets wet and covered in fish blood and guts so I transport all of my gear - dry pants spray ,jacket , thermals , and foot wear in a large dry bay ( no smell problem ) -- when home it all gets washed and dried including the dry bag

when dry there near no smell but the dry bag can be used from the trip to the water as well

ronnyb
KAYAK: Dagger Vertigo, Eskimo Salto, "no brand" SLSA racing ski

Postby ronnyb » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:20 pm

Hi Floater. Good luck finding anything better than the humble neoprene dive boot. I’ve explored a number of different footwear options over my years of white water and ocean paddling and am yet to find anything that comes close for versatility and value for money. Yes they do encourage foot odour, but that is really only a minor inconvenience.

After every couple of uses I add a splash of household antiseptic to tepid water, fill each boot and then let them stand for 3-4 hours. This helps keep odours under control and discourages bacterial and fungal growths. Some paddlers also wear socks inside their neoprene boots, although I think this is only viable in situations where foot slippage inside the boot is not likely to cause any real problems.

Another way to get around the unpleasant odours is to confine all stinky items to your boat i.e. outside the vehicle. Several years back I purchased a Bomber Gear Bunker Bag; a heavy-duty mesh bag that allows wet or dry gear to be stowed in the boat’s cockpit during transportation. The bag can be securely strapped into the cockpit (so it can’t blow out) and it also doubles as a cockpit cover to keep out rain and creepy crawlies.

If you do manage to find anything that allows your feet to fit comfortably under the deck and that works better than neoprene boots then let us all know.

Ron

feraltek
KAYAK: Dagger Alchemy

Postby feraltek » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:35 pm

Cheap - Adrenalin neoprene booties. http://adrenalinwetsuits.com/Dive-Boots ... ducts.html
Expensive - Merrell barefoot running shoes. http://www.merrell.com/en/barefoot/

NorthSIKer
KAYAK: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby NorthSIKer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:54 pm

Floater

Postby Floater » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:11 pm

The minimalistic barefoot runners look good, but I visited a couple of merrell outlets and they didn't have any.

I did find "kayaking" shoes, Astral Loyak, on an international website, which had a lot of positive comments/reviews and surprisingly had a review (positive review) from an Australian sea kayaker in Victoria, he wrote:
"I noticed a Hong Kong Outward Bound Instructor paddling across Bass Strait (Australia) in a pair of these puppies and thought ... 'Yeah, I'd love a pair'. So, I sent through an order and they arrived on my door step just before a sea kayak trip. They worked a treat - light-weight, tough, well-draining, great grip and they have a really good casual look. Though, as previously mentioned the sand does get in (proof being a couple of worn holes in my feet); however most paddling shoes do let the sand in! Would I recommend them ...YES! I wear them in the white-water boat as well as the sea kayak and they are great for sailing as well with their non-marking sole. And they will be my everyday shoe for my travels through Scotland and Norway later this year, due to their light-weight nature, casual looks and with my usually stinky feet I haven't received any side-way looks yet. Definitely get yourself a pair!!!"
These are $85USD plus postage without trying on first. I cant find an Australian supplier.
Does anyone here have any experience with this shoe and sizing?

I don't mind paying for a comfortable shoe that wont stink. Honestly I cannot do neoprene.

Geoff
KAYAK: Rockpool Taran 18,Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

Postby Geoff » Sat May 20, 2017 5:28 am

The easiest way to get over the stinky footwear problem is to wear a pair of Reed socks inside the booties. Wash the socks out, the booties will never stink again. I usually wear a Kokotat bib or drysuit so my feet never contact the the booties. Same result, no stink.

Floater

Postby Floater » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:36 pm

I ended up purchasing a pair of Astral Loyak water shoes. They have drainage in the sole and a mesh like upper, the insole is removable for drying. They were comfy to wear in a kayak and also on a ski as the sole is flexible. I did not walk in sand so cant comment about sand getting in the shoe.

Gray Raider
KAYAK: Epic V10, Rockpool Taran, Tippy K1, Raider X, Mirage 22S, Epic V10S, Half a K2

Postby Gray Raider » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:09 am

This is what I use on and off the water. Paddle a Taran 18 so plenty of room up front. Yes they let in sand and coral. When it gets cold, socks.

http://www.shimanofish.com.au/products/ ... -shoe.html

Mark Sundin
KAYAK: Expedition Kayaks Audax

Postby Mark Sundin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:30 pm

They mould those holes in so your dignity can escape, specially when you wear them with socks dude....

Garry
KAYAK: Sladecraft Comet ,Mirage 580

Postby Garry » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:27 pm

"This is what I use on and off the water."

Nice, the black ones look versatile. They'd look smart with formal wear.

Gray Raider
KAYAK: Epic V10, Rockpool Taran, Tippy K1, Raider X, Mirage 22S, Epic V10S, Half a K2

Postby Gray Raider » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:45 am

Rollin...... Queensland style
IMG_20170615_074451_resized_20170615_084014463.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NorthSIKer
KAYAK: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby NorthSIKer » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:55 am

Gray Raider wrote:Rollin...... Queensland style

You feral.

The tops of the socks should be folded over if in polite company :lol: .

Return to “ACCESSORIES”