Storm gp

Paddles , Epirbs , Cup Holders , Helmets , Radios etc
Forum rules
Please remember this is NOT a commercial forum! Please refer to "Rules of the Forum" for clarification
Boatsie
KAYAK: Nadgee Wanderer, 70s glass 15 ft, 2 Winner Otiums

Storm gp

Postby Boatsie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:41 am

Is it worth building a foam sandwich storm gp please?

I doubt I'll be in legal requirements of a spare paddle for at least a year.
I have a tub of resin/hardner and a heater to patch boat now.
I'll have to ask first but pretty sure I can use some foam blocks and 3inch woven glass tape is cheap enough.
Would like an easy deck stow paddle for later and would like to learn its uses before I need to use it.

Camanche73
KAYAK: point 65 XP18, guillemot, BTD Frej, North Sea tourer

Re: Storm gp

Postby Camanche73 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:45 pm

A lot easier to make one from timber. And don't bother with ester resins on foam.

Mac50L
KAYAK: Mac50L

Postby Mac50L » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:33 pm

Western red cedar will be as light or lighter and certainly easier to make. Use the epoxy you have to glue the parts of the paddle as per the URL below.

Can you use a Greenland paddle properly now? If yes, then no real problem, just slide a hand out alternatively from the loom for each stroke.

If no, then you need to learn to use one properly. They are used like Wing paddles. Try stroking with arms straight. This will force you to use body rotation. Then bend an elbow to remove the downside blade out of the water. With body rotation, the blade in the water moves away from the kayak and the difference between a GP and Wing is you need to set up the angle of attack of the leading edge (blade cant) while the Wing paddle tends to do this automatically.

Note - anyone who says you need to use a low angle stroke with a GP hasn't watched YouTubes of good GP paddlers paddling at speed. The stroke is as vertical or more so than an Olympic racing paddler's stroke. At 5 knots my paddle is near vertical during the power stroke.

A GP will not, can not, flutter if used correctly.

https://sites.google.com/site/kayakamf/ ... nd-paddles

Same size except the loom is two fists long or even shorter.

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:33 am

You guys are marvelous, it'll take me a month or two to carve some Pine I have (and my wood working skills are higher than my ability to dance a 'yak, lol).
Figured I'll cut the lengths, either make a join or have a knot. A coat of glass will strengthen that or if if shape looks like it should look, a carbon cover 2 Kevlar tips.
Thanks for the advice.

Mac50L

Postby Mac50L » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:25 am

Glass makes it heavy and is unnecessary. Linseed oil, protects the wood and gives grip. Note I use kwila tips. Also western red cedar for lightness and ease of working.

Camanche73

Postby Camanche73 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Boatsie wrote:You guys are marvelous, it'll take me a month or two to carve some Pine I have (and my wood working skills are higher than my ability to dance a 'yak, lol).
Figured I'll cut the lengths, either make a join or have a knot. A coat of glass will strengthen that or if if shape looks like it should look, a carbon cover 2 Kevlar tips.
Thanks for the advice.

Kevlar is very poor in compression, and very difficult to repair. I think it would be a poor choice of paddle tips. If you really wanted to, probably just some epoxy with graphite powder mixed in for abrasion resistance. (But primarily for asthetics).

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:01 pm

Ta. Saved me effort of getting cloth. Likely to cut Pine, short wrap of 3 inch glass over knot or join after oiling her up and be happy with that.

Mac50L

Postby Mac50L » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:00 am

What type of pine are you going to use? Most are heavy and harder to work than western red cedar.

Camanche73

Postby Camanche73 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:45 am

Paulownia would be another viable option.

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:53 am

Just planning to use the left over building Pine. Lol. It's white wood? Light enough with me and free.. Maybe foam but doubt that because of cost to cover.
Too wrap a knot to prevent breakage on milled Pine would cost me 40 cents in glass and tiny bit in resin.Oil unknown but I think probably have something to do that.
Then I have me a floating cheap stick to play with.
Looking forward to a short GP, thanks. Maybe later change but knowing me I'll be happy with a serviceable unit.

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:05 pm

Thanks regarding Western Red Cedar, Paulownia and info.
Just atm, we have 5 'yaks, 3 'yak paddles, 4 type 3 vests and old mate in brain surgery as I write.
And no roof racks, lol. Our best option looks like shaping the left over building Pine as paddle cost 50cents and should suit with size weight etc.
I prefer an old light oversize Euro set but want to learn short Gp and Go should suit style of my old mate too. (He usually uses my spare split shaft expensive slightly smaller blade Euro set but doesn't like it much).

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:18 pm

Stuff it, with all the debris currently in the currents of our oceans, will do without the strengthening 3 inch glass patch. Watched some YouTube, looks like decent leveraged slide hand techniques but further YouTube and your Kiwi site shows glue good bits together. With time to build, doesn't look like, ' a spare day to build 1.' Lol.
Be strong enough for us and longest swim about 400m if paddle does break.
Thanks heaps, actually looks like fun.

Mac50L

Postby Mac50L » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:23 pm

Boatsie wrote:Paulownia

It might need reinforcing, not as strong as WRC, more like heavy balsa.
Just atm, we have 5 'yaks, 3 'yak paddles, 4 type 3 vests

Is that all? I have near a dozen GPs, 7 or 8 kayaks and a number of PDFs and then my partner's kayaks and gear. I think you are a bit short of gear.

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:12 am

Lol. 2 plastics to rub rocks with, great to stuff bilge with garbage found along waterways. Actually nice boats, just didn't hold shape long. Will melt recycle in 30 yrs...
Glass boat.. They patch well.. 55 yrs old and still strong. Etc...
Just hoping for cheap paddles in case mates want a day out..
Storm GP looks like a genuine great paddle. Wood cheap if I ever get time to look in a lumber yard. Mates going to be sore as and he never paddles high angle hence he might enjoy more a long blade. And at about $3 for length in Pine (that's the spare wood we have) I couldn't care too much if old mate bashs sand and rocks with it.
That sliding hand technique is so useful gardening, storm GP looks brilliant.

Depending upon where they break, fire wood or drift, heat or compost.
I love doing nothing on water too aye, when I get the shape I like I'll save and carbon foam 1 then to pass on to someone after serving me 40 yrs.
GP won't age, I'm surprised I've just noticed them during the last 6 months. They look perfect.

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:57 am

I think you are a bit short of gear.

That I am, although with no hurry.
Slowly paying towards a fast tourer now. Will have to get roof racks within next 8 weeks too.
Then figured over next couple of years,, paddles, will knock up some storm GP paddles although I am a big fan of the oversize light weight very old yet like new much used Euro 1 piece I use.
Warmth. Currently a 4mm steamer if very cold, ( water always warm around here) , old wool jumpers under a wind proof spray jacket and a few decent skirts. Want to upgrade top first. Dry cag looks suitable to hike highland cold places with. No idea if I correct!
Then probably take me 2 yrs to afford electrics, fireworks, vis. sheet, blow up 150, etc.
I figure after 3 yrs of effort(2 to go), I'll have me a proper boat( Lol. ) and sea kayaking is perfect to get out there and enjoy boating with whatever finds me/us. Mother nature is mother nature. Father wind, I'm just prey and the holy crap check out the size of that 1, let's surf with him.

Visiting old mate in hospital today, he had brain surgery yesterday and will have another brain op tomorrow. I might be able to suck him in to building his own paddle. He'll be better soon. I guess he'll option towards a longer loom. I think I'd prefer a quicker change of mind stick, eg a storm GP. No, I haven't used a GP or a storm GP, merely hypothesis; I wood like.

I wood like to build my own boat in many years. That I doubt. Maybe cnc a plug but doubt there too. I like the mind look of a fid front with a hard aft. Nice and basic, about 15 ft length, about 53cm beam. Haven't done any mathematics nor physics, wouldn't know if volume would serve my buoyancy well.

So here here Comanche, Mac, too what might well be a dodgy G.paddle in progress. :lol:

Mac50L

Postby Mac50L » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:35 am

A storm GP is really for emergencies or a hunting paddle to keep the profile down. For really getting somewhere a standard sized one is the way to go and I'd never recommend someone start with a storm GP. The first thing being not knowing how to use it and if coming from an inefficient Euro, a bit of a change in style.

Remember it is a wing so needs to be made that way and get the edges sharpish. Learn / know how to paddle straight armed before starting to bend elbows.

mattsema4
KAYAK: Valley Nordkapp RM, Epic 18x Sport

Postby mattsema4 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:46 am

Hi Nathan,
I think it is much easier to learn to use a GP with a full size paddle compared to learning the sliding stroke of a storm GP. One of the advantages of a GP is reduced wind age and a storm paddle is rarely needed. It does make a great back up spare paddle which is easily secured on deck.
I reckon from my experience that with your Nadgee Wanderer you will find a GP will not deliver optimum performance from this newer boat design.
My Epic definitely performs best with a wing blade. It still goes well with a GP but if I want to go quick I go to my wing blade.
The downside of a fast tourer is that if you are paddling with others they struggle to match your pace. If you go slower the technique falls away a bit and doesn't feel as comfortable.

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:04 am

Hi Matt, I agree I'd prefer to cover distances too hence grab a lot more water.
It does make a great back up spare paddle which is easily secured on deck. 

I'll need to know how to use it, slide hand doesn't bother me. Here's to Pine wood brother.

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:59 am

The downside of a fast tourer is that if you are paddling with others they struggle to match your pace.

I thought the Storm GP should be slower knots up stream and midship rudder stable surfing. Plus hanging for old mate gives plenty of roll time practice. I doubt he'll be up for a tow for a while.
Off to see old mate in a couple of hours. Like everyone; hoping he survives with some zest for life. Basically getting ready to throw him into my old girl, lots more stable than he is used too, shorter, lighter, more room and quicker too. Just no skeg/rudder hence ears should be kept occupied with complaints department (and common laughter).
In mean time, he can damage as many paddles as he damages if such and I read that storm GP roll well. I haven't learnt roll. I have a small stack of Pine, suits us because it near free and hey, I don't want to paddle up hill, 2knots is plenty, I wanna plane run.
NiceN easy, know effort is just technique.
Looking forward to meeting you guys. Cioa

Camanche73

Postby Camanche73 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:08 pm

Mac50L wrote:
Boatsie wrote:Paulownia

It might need reinforcing, not as strong as WRC, more like heavy balsa.
Just atm, we have 5 'yaks, 3 'yak paddles, 4 type 3 vests

Mac, I disagree with you there
Specific srebgth of WRC is 1560N. Paulownia is 1380N. Balsa is 300N.
Weight of WRC is 370kg/m(3). Paulownia is 280kg/m(3)
WRC is slightly stronger but also heavier. Strength to weight I think paulownia is better.
I have also built boats from both, and found paulownia nicer to work with. I do prefer the smell of WRC though :)
Last edited by Camanche73 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”