Welcome to the Forum

General posting
TIMAX
KAYAK: Valley Aqanaut

Welcome to the Forum

Postby TIMAX » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:21 pm

Welcome to The Sea Kayak Forum.
My name is Tim Robinson. I started Sea Kayaking several years ago , joining the NSWSKC and was one of the first Sea Skills Groupies graduating in 2004.
I'm an early morning paddler and like to get out and back before the family are up. My wife works many weekends and I have a son Max who is now 13 so club paddling is not an easy thing for me to do.
I seem to have become an "Armchair Paddler" :roll: Spending more time thinking about it than actually doing it. :roll: Thats one of the reasons I started this forum. I could see many other areas in the world were getting together on the internet to swap ideas and find paddling partners etc but we were a little left out. Well not anymore! ;)
But remember a forum is nothing without its members , so please feel free to use this forum as your own. Ask questions , organize paddles , let us know your ideas and lets just talk kayaks! :D
If you see me out on the water , please say hi. ;)
Thanks Tim & Max

agongos
KAYAK: Current Cesign Solstice Titan LV

Thanks

Postby agongos » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:33 am

Thanks for the new forum. I'm on the other side of the planet from you, and it's cold and everything is frozen, so it's nice to have another place to talk about paddling. I found your site at Paddling.net. Someone mentioned something about a new site. It looks like a nice place to visit, learn and enjoy :)

quicky
KAYAK: Sea Leopard

Re: Welcome to the Forum

Postby quicky » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:24 am

Hey Timax,
Gotta agree it is a great site, need to get my fix at least twice daily! Does get quite spirited at times even before the passage of rum and the glow of a camp fire!! Great job.
Regards,

Henne
KAYAK: Nordkapp Jubilee, (very old) Anas Acuta

Postby Henne » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:25 am

HI there,

I am trying to post a new topic but always get the message of too much data, even with just 2 sentences (short ones :-) )..

any ideas?

thanks and have a good day!!

Henning

mzungu
KAYAK: Ocean Raider/Nadgee Expedition (Skeg)

Postby mzungu » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:39 am

G'day Henning.
Welcome onboard but try posting details of your problem in the Forum Help section to ensure a reply from Admin.
Have a fiend with the same name that runs Safaris from Arusha Tanzania.
Mzungu :D

NorKayak
KAYAK: Sit-on-top sea kayak

Postby NorKayak » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:32 pm

Hi there!

I began paddling about a couple of month ago, and it has been a 'coup de foudre' as the French say. So much so that I decided to create a modest site dedicated to Kayaking and to Norway since it is where I live now. It's nothing like a forum... I don't have much material at the moment and I wish I could include some photos taken by other Kayakers all over the world...
If you have pictures you would like to share contact me via my site: http://www.norkayak.com I'll be happy to publish then :)

Thanx and good paddling to all

Didier

chriskayaks
KAYAK: Fluid Sit On Top Tandem

Postby chriskayaks » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:07 pm

Hi Tim & the rest

Chris from South Africa. Just would like to say hi to everyone. If there is any South African's in this forum, I would appreciate a reply.

South Africa's coastline has one of the world's most beautiful kayaking spots. You can go kayaking with the whales, going past Hermanus during September/October and with dolphins at Jeffrey's Bay (one of the Billabong Pro Surfing Competition spots) up to Durban & Richardsbay. The West Coast and Cape Town also offers great kayaking experience.

Anyone are welcome to kayak RSA's coastline.

See you in the forums.

Regards

Baxter
KAYAK: Current Design - Storm

Postby Baxter » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:21 pm

Giddaye Tim ..you must be a really early riser mate...
I tend to try a lot of things...have sea kayak, surf ski , Mountain & road bike and love just doing stuff.

I enjoy Kayaking the most though , bbut unfortunately this is the only " adventure' or leisure my good wife doesn't join with me in.
Anyway I'm heading off around the Whitsundays in a couple of days. The other guys are exceptional paddlers ..I learn lots , they are really patient ...

Jef
KAYAK: SEABIRD

Postby Jef » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:44 pm

Hi, another newbie to the forum and to the sport.

I've plenty of water history but not much with sea kayaks. For several months I've been thinking about and checking out the sea kayaks and then last Sunday Anaconda had a seabird expedition hdpe at a pretty good price. It will do as a good starting point and I'll have to finish that storage area in the carport now.

Anyway, is there anywhere down my way (Frankston) where people get together and paddle on the weekends? I've seen a couple of sea kayaks when I've been fishing etc and I'd heard from a workmate that there was a club or group that paddled on a Sunday...from somewhere.

Jef

coaster
KAYAK: mirage 580

Postby coaster » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:34 pm

Hi ,have just started paddling and would welcome any info on clubs on the mid north coast of NSW around Taree/Forster.Got hooked while paddling Katherine Gorge and have now started sea kayaking.Any help will do,Thanks

Wet
KAYAK: Seabird expedition sandwich

Postby Wet » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:11 pm

Hi coaster,

I'm down Melbourne way and have been googling to sus out the clubs, but not with great success so far.
I've met a couple of people who're out when I'm at work but I think that's a way to for me to get connected and the feelers are out at work.
I don't know if it'll work for you the only time I've been to Taree was on our honeymoon 25 years ago and there was a cafe opposite the beach that did the greatest pepper steaks I've ever had. You're a little more isolated but you have great steaks and surf to compensate.
Anyway good luck with the hunt and getting into a great sport

Cheers

Pluto
KAYAK: West Coast 555, Dagger Exodus

Postby Pluto » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:18 pm

coaster wrote:Hi ,have just started paddling and would welcome any info on clubs on the mid north coast of NSW around Taree/Forster.Got hooked while paddling Katherine Gorge and have now started sea kayaking.Any help will do,Thanks

Hi Coaster,

Have a look at Paddle NSW. They have a list of associated clubs around the state.

ytwkangaroo
KAYAK: have not bought yet

Postby ytwkangaroo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:06 pm

Hi everybody, my name is Tim, I am preparing and learning to be an ocean kayaker.

Not sure which kayak to buy, the miss saying she wants to go too, I really doubt if her interests can last..I have being working hard to keep dust off her fishing rod, boxing gloves, exercising bicycle etc etc ..

Will be appreciated if someone can suggest a kayak mainly used solely but can handle a rare two people situation.

smeyn
KAYAK: Aquanaut Carbon Kevlar, Aquanaut HV RM, Impex Assateague

Postby smeyn » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi TIm and welcome to the forum.
I think you'll be disappointed to find a kayak that can be used by one and two people. For seakayaks, unlike canadian canoes, it's an either or.
If you think Sitontops then that's a different ballgame. Few here paddle sitontops though.

Suzukiscottie
KAYAK: Impi Sailfish

Postby Suzukiscottie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:40 pm

Hi everyone, recently moved from Scotland to Melbourne, and have just bought myself an Impi Sailfish. I've realised that it's the same Kayak which Rays Outdoors brand as an EcoTour or something like that (chinese Winner branded rotomoulded). I didn't pay anything near what Rays are asking for that Yak though! :-) Tight Scotsman eh? Anyway, .... did a sea kayaking course in the beautiful area of Applecross (very remote NW Scotland) about 18 months ago, and not done anything since. So will be taking things very steadily until I gain some more skills and confidence.

Cheers folks!

JohnA
KAYAK: Australis Gecko, Valley Nordkapp RM.

Postby JohnA » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:04 pm

Suzukiscottie wrote:Hi everyone, recently moved from Scotland to Melbourne.

Cheers folks!

Welcome to Oz, Suzukiscottie. I moved here from Edinburgh about 25 years ago. Whereabouts are you from ?

We Scotsmen aren't tight though, just fiscally responsible :)

Suzukiscottie
KAYAK: Impi Sailfish

Postby Suzukiscottie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:13 pm

From Kilmarnock, but have family in and around Edinburgh too. Fiscally responsible.......i like it; i'm going to use that if you don't mind! :-)

ytwkangaroo
KAYAK: have not bought yet

Postby ytwkangaroo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:41 pm

smeyn wrote:Hi TIm and welcome to the forum.
I think you'll be disappointed to find a kayak that can be used by one and two people. For seakayaks, unlike canadian canoes, it's an either or.
If you think Sitontops then that's a different ballgame. Few here paddle sitontops though.

Hi smeyn, thanks for your reply. You are very right, I probably have a sitontops to start with.

JohnA
KAYAK: Australis Gecko, Valley Nordkapp RM.

Postby JohnA » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:59 am

Suzukiscottie wrote:From Kilmarnock, but have family in and around Edinburgh too. Fiscally responsible.......i like it; i'm going to use that if you don't mind! :-)

Ah Kilmarnock, home of Johnnie Walker, at least for a few more months. You certainly picked a good winter to move to Oz ! Looking at some of the news footage, the paddling conditions would have been a wee bit chilly this winter. Of course Melbourne can be a bit chilly too in winter, but it's not quite in the same league.

Have fun in your Sailfish. There's another guy on the forum with a similar boat, he's up in North Queensland and seems happy with his. The price is pretty attractive, but I suspect that their may be issues with some of the hardware and fittings in the longer term. It'll certainly get you out on the water though and that's the main thing.

Being new in the country, I suggest that you make contact with the Victorian Sea Kayak Club. It's a good way to meet experienced local paddlers and find out about the best paddling spots and local conditions from a sea kayakers perspective.

www.vskc.org.au/

cheers and happy paddling,

John

3kayaksandbuilding
KAYAK: f1,clcartichawk, brink version bidarka

Postby 3kayaksandbuilding » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:05 am

This is my frist post, just found the forum this morning here in Los Angeles.
I am trying to finish up a CLC stich and glue kit--The Arctic Hawk. I build a F1 with Brian at his home base this past August.
I also bougnt a Brink version Badiarka built by a long and tall guy who got rid of it because it was so tippy. He was right.
I am thinking of rigging some outriggers and putting a mast and rudder on it for a kayak-trimeran. It is just so slick looking I can't bear getting rid of it.
In two weeks I will be having a class with Dubside and the gentleman from Greenland who won the championships for x time starting when he was 17. I will either learn a lot or ....
I was in NZ for the Commonwealth Games. Loved it --would have stayed there the rest of my life it they were more open to Yanks staying at the time.

So HOWDY
John from LA

Return to “CHIT-CHAT”